Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

last question - sump removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Default last question - sump removal

I have a 2002 Pajero (Montero in US I think) 75W with a 6G74 3.5L V6 engine 24valve…. (Jap import)

I have to remove the sump and my model is the one where you have to remove the axle to do so....

I am wondering if anyone has any real experience of doing this and can possible tell me a short cut?.... or is it possibly the case where you don't have to be so drastic as to remove the whole axle, just drop is a bit?

Im Wondering is there is a good solution?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2016, 06:01 PM

On my 2002 3.5l montero sport the oil sump is a two piece unit. The bottom piece is stamped metal and I would think that could come off while the engine is in the vehicle. That will expose the oil pickup and that is about it. The upper sump piece is aluminum and bolts to the block. Not sure if you can get that off while still in the vehicle.

The manual I have talks to both two piece pans like mine and a single piece pan. Not sure on the uses of either.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:57 AM

Attached are some excerpts from manuals that I have regarding oil pan removal. Hope they are helpful.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:08 AM

Thanks very much Larry... really helpful and mine is the integral type as shown

Im going to try and do all apart from removing the drive shafts... and upon recommendations I will try and unbolt engine mounts and jack engine up as far as I can to get clearance...

From looking under the car it also looks like it would help to remove the cross member thats its sort of under the prop shaft/diff flange... its shown in the last PDF you sent (Group 11A) ... slightly hidden.

It doesn't actually say that I should remove that but from underneath it looks like it may allow diff to drop more without needing to take out drive shafts?

Its the drive shafts that look like the trickiest bit or can you just unbolt from the diff casing end and slip out, without touching the wheel or brake end?

Thanls

Old 06-11-2016, 06:17 AM

When I pulled my motor, I had to remove the cross member so I could unbolt the exhaust y-pipe so I could unbolt the exhaust from the manifolds. Y-pipe has a bracket that bolts to the cross member.

My upper pan was extremely difficult to get off due to the factory sealant. I tried to pry it off and broke an ear off the pan. I later found there are tapped holes for use of jack bolts to start the pan removal. I think one was 13mm and the other 14mm. The jack bolt holes are at the back of the pan rail. These are shown in my rebuild thread. Not sure if your one piece pan has these.