Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Lift kit for GenII Montero LWB

Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Default Lift kit for GenII Montero LWB

I have a 98 montero that i am trying to throw some money into, only problem is there really is limited options for lift kits. I know of the OME kit that is showing only 1.25'. I want more than that, anybody know where i could find something 2" or more????

Old 09-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Default RE: Lift kit for GenII Montero LWB

i believe 4crawler.com has quite a bit as far as montys go, I am not sure what they have for '98s but a lot of the stuff is universal so you should be ok. have fun.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:37 PM

u can put bigger U Bolts and a 2" block of metal in the rear if u got a solid rear axel and bigger springs a arms and strus in the front

Old 09-05-2007, 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: jpmontero98

u can put bigger U Bolts and a 2" block of metal in the rear if u got a solid rear axel and bigger springs a arms and strus in the front
How's he gonna do that? He has coil springs!! NOBODY in N. America makes longer A-Arms for any Mitsu 4x4... unless he goes full custom but then why not sas it if you're gonna spend that kind of money.

You can use spacers (custom fab) or longer coil springs from Valley Spring Works in Dixon CA. Up front, the only thing you can do is torque your torsion bars but be careful you don't over do it because it will wear your CV's faster.

ARB/Old Man Emu also offers longer rear springs as you've found but they are shorter springs. There are others as well from australia but availability in the US is limited.

Also, if you're loaded down while wheeling w/ camping gear, etc. you may want to consider an airbag system to suppliment your stock coils. You can inflate them to increase your load capacity as needed.

As has been noted, 4crawler does offer a lift kit but it's a body lift and not a suspension lift. A suspension lift is far better if you actually plan to use it off road but if you've maxed out your suspension, then the body lift is what you may have to do to get better clearance for rocks, trail obstacles, and bigger tires.

HTH

Old 09-05-2007, 01:16 PM

lol sry i wasnt specific i saw these leaf springs these bolts and blocks and thought thats what he could do. he can fab a mount for the leaf springs and put em on himself.....giving it ground clearence

Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM

also jcwhitney.com is a good place to shop for lift kits

Old 09-05-2007, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: jpmontero98

lol sry i wasnt specific i saw these leaf springs these bolts and blocks and thought thats what he could do. he can fab a mount for the leaf springs and put em on himself.....giving it ground clearence
Those are for Montero Sports. He does not have leaf springs. The only N. American Mitsu Montero's and pickups w/ leafs are their 4 cylinder models. ALL N. American Mitsu Montero's 4x4's w/ a v6 motor have coil springs. The 98 is a v6 Montero and has coil springs.

Montero Sport's on the other hand do come with leafs or coils. I'm not clear on which ones have leafs and which ones don't. I am 99.9% sure that site doesn't know know what the heck they're talking about or made a major mistake on their website.

That said, a coil spring perch and a leaf spring perch is an entirely different setup and you can't use U-bolts on a coil spring setup. On the other hand, you can probably fabricate custom coil spring mount w/ and additional 2" of height so yes, that's possible but I don't know of anyone who's done it.

As for searching for a lift kit designed for Montero's (not sports). There are absolutely ZERO N.American aftermarket sources who provide off the shelf Montero suspension lifts (other than the measley ARB one) and only 4crawler.com provides a body lift for one.

IF you're wondering how I know this... I've been wheeling these rigs for over 10 years now and am involved with 10's if not close to a hundred N.American Mitsu 4x4 owners who wheel them (that's alot of off road mitsu's) and we've been researching lift sources.

That said, in the US there are several solutions to getting a lift for his 98 montero.
1) ARB/Old Man EMU (Springs/Shocks): available. N.American HQ in Washington.
2) Iron Man Suspension (buy from N.Zealand/Australia and have them shipped here or find a N. American source willing to bring them in)
3) Valley Spring Works (Longer Coils for Gen I's & Gen II's): Custom made to order. Just tell them how long you want them. Located in Dixon California.
4) 4crawler.com makes body lift kits. Comes w/ bolts and uhmw spacer blocks. He's located about 1 mile from where I work.
5) Buy a kit for another rig that has the right height & number of spacers and possibly use the bolts that come with the kit or source your own grade 8 or better bolts/nuts.

Not trying to be a jerk here but I'm trying to save this guy and anyone else who reads this a ton of effort researching this.

One other thing, on the rear you can get more flex from doing a suspension lift but your articulation will be limited by your shock length. You can source longer travel alternative shocks from KYB, Rancho, etc. but may have to modify them slightly to fit. You'll need to talk to their tech guys who know their stuff to do this. Don't just talk to a sales guy who'll tell you, nope, that's all we can do for a Mitsu.

HTH.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:00 PM

Well thanks guys for the help, the custom springs sound like the best bet with what i am looking for. Ive already tweaked my torsion bars to take away that nose dive look of stock montero's. Offroader way to go for wheeling montero's for ten years, ive done grand cherokee's but everybody and there dog's got one.

Again thanks for the help, you guys make this a great forum!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:10 PM

glad to help

Old 06-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Default 2" lift kit

Try this website http://www.rocky-road.com/suspensions.html . You can also find there kits on ebay.

I also have a 98 Montero Sport and am finding it very difficult to find performs parts for it. As far as the engine, I am looking it up by the motor type, not the vehicle. I hope this helps, good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lift kit for GenII Montero LWB