Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Max tire size on a stock 2002 montero

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Default Max tire size on a stock 2002 montero

Hi all

I did do a search. perhaps I need a class on how to search this forum as i seem to always come up empty. Im sure this question has be asked several times so sorry for asking again.

i just bought a 2002 Montero Limited. I had been looking for awhile and finally found one that is in great shape. the first thing is will need is a set of new tires.

so here is the question, what size tire can i safely put on a stock 2002 Montero?

I have read 285/75r/16 will fit but that gearing may need to be change?

advise?

thanks

Old 12-30-2016, 07:29 PM

I've been running 265/75R16 on my Montero for about year and a half now. No issues of any sort with that size. I have a 2" lift on the truck, so not 100% sure if it will work on stock setup. The one thing I have to pay attention, is your actual road speed is about 3 MPH higher than the one shown on the speedometer. You have to account for that as not to get pulled over

Old 12-30-2016, 11:02 PM

Hunter,

I am seeing that i should have included the tire size I currently have. my bad.

i currently have 265 75 16(31.5 inch) . I have checked the speedo with my gps and it just so happens that with this tire size that the speedo is spot on. I am also getting about 20 mpg with 70% freeway 30% town driving. I actually think that is pretty good when everything is stock.

I just bought the truck a few days ago. the tires are in ok shape and i thought i could get a few months of use. But i found that at 75 mph or so there was a small vibration and I knew it was tire balance. I took it in to have the tires rotated and balanced today and found that one of the rims is bent. so a had them put on the spare. the truck now gos down the road at 80+ smooth as butter. but that spare rim is brushed aluminum and the others are chrome. so I think I will either need to find another chrome rim, or buy 4 new.

if i buy new rims, I will not need or want chrome. I will want something more off road worthy.

so i am running 31.5s. it looks to me like i can run 33s. that is only .75 inchs difference as far as clearance in the wheel well. so im thinking about it. will need to chose soon.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:01 AM

I have 265 75 16 on my montero limited too...a bit noisy at freeway speeds but looks much better than stock size.
Your 20mpg amazes me...i'll be happy to get 15mpg on the freeway,I rarely go past 70mph.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by carlsson01
I have 265 75 16 on my montero limited too...a bit noisy at freeway speeds but looks much better than stock size.
Your 20mpg amazes me...i'll be happy to get 15mpg on the freeway,I rarely go past 70mph.
I got 14 mpg on the first tank. I was doing a bit of off road near my house and getting on the gas because it was a new car (to me) and i wanted to make sure i could trust the engine. I was also using the manual shifting to be sure it worked properly.

i sort of freaked with the 14mpg..so i filled up again and acted like there was an egg under the gas peddle, used cruse control whenever possible and i didnt drive over 70mph. this was with regular unleaded gas. i know it is suggested to use super.. but still I got 20mpg. I have now filled up with super and I will see if there is any real change in how the truck preforms.

so far, I'm really happy with this thing. I will need to do a bunch of work to make it in to a proper off roader. starting with tires..

after reading and reading I am still not sure if i can fit 33's

Old 01-01-2017, 12:54 AM

Rantopia, have you considered painting all rims to match? You can use Plasti Dip and that way later on you can peel off the old paint layer.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:26 AM

Where are you from Rontopia? I'm from Los Angeles so imagining there's an egg under my gas pedal is not a good thing to do...once the light turns green you have to stomp the gas pedal to go with the flow....otherwise the car following you will honk his horn.
Anyway,I've only used premium fuel and the best that I get is 15mpg....never above 70mph and cruise control as soon as I can.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Rantopia, have you considered painting all rims to match? You can use Plasti Dip and that way later on you can peel off the old paint layer.
more info? I dont know what Plasti Dip is.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by carlsson01
Where are you from Rontopia? I'm from Los Angeles so imagining there's an egg under my gas pedal is not a good thing to do...once the light turns green you have to stomp the gas pedal to go with the flow....otherwise the car following you will honk his horn.
Anyway,I've only used premium fuel and the best that I get is 15mpg....never above 70mph and cruise control as soon as I can.
I live just north of Tucson. I have lived near several big cities including Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, New York, Dallas, Austin, San Diego... the list go's on. I have moved 58+ something times in my life and im not 50 yet.

I moved to AZ from Portland in 2003 but, sense then I have done contract work in several cities. anyway..

ill keep checking my MPG.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rontopia
more info? I dont know what Plasti Dip is.
Plastidip is a rubberized paint. The benefit of it is that it can be removed at a later time by peeling it off. Do a Google search and see if this is something that will work for you. There was a Montero built/upgrade here on the post where the owner used it on the wheels. You can search for it and contact the poster to see how it is holding up.

Quick Reply: Max tire size on a stock 2002 montero