Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Mb554425 fuel tank, help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Default Mb554425 fuel tank, help!

Hi,
looking for a new fuel tank for my 1988 Mitsubishi montero -- part # MB554425. Anyone have one for sale or have leads on where to get one?
thanks,

taylor

Old 10-01-2017, 03:47 PM

Does it have to be new? You might have better luck at the junk yards. May I ask why you are looking for a replacement? Do you have a hole or just rust inside?

Old 10-01-2017, 03:58 PM

It doesn't have to be new... I may be able to get the one I have repaired. It's at the shop now I think it had both rust and a hole as it was leaking pretty badly when I filled up the tank. No luck so far finding a new or used...

Old 10-01-2017, 10:30 PM

I've dealt with a rusty tank on one of my vehicles. There was so much rust there that the old fuel would not drain through the plug - rust flakes would clog up 1/2 drain. I was able to use KBS tank rust repair/seal kit to fix that. It takes some elbow grease and it is a messy procedure, but it was the easiest way to deal with this. Now, five or six years down the road - no rust in the tank. I's suggest you read up on those kits (there are other brands too) and see if it is something that might be helpful to get your tank fixed.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:50 PM

Thanks! I wonder if they can weld it if there's a hole. I'll have the mechanic pull it out on Monday. There is definitely a hole.. it was leaking badly from top.