Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Might be trading for a 2003 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:25 PM
Default Might be trading for a 2003 Montero

I might be trading an old 1978 Class B motorhome of mine for a 2003 Montero. The lady wants/needs it to live in and offered it as a trade. I haven't seen it or know any details other than it's a 2003.

She was busy today and is about 50 miles away, so I told her to give me a call tomorrow so she can view it. Presumably she'll be driving the Montero so I can see it, since I said I might consider it depending on the condition.

Are there any particular things I should look out for that's a problem area on that year model? I know how to generally look over used cars but it helps to know where to look for specific issues that may affect that exact line of trucks.

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2015, 12:23 AM

Make sure you know if you are getting a full size Montero or a Montero Sport. These are two very different models, not different trim levels and thus different value. From personal experience these are awesome and reliable. Two things to pay attention to - Orange Center Diff Lock light flashing. Put the truck in AWD and 4wd modes and make sure it engages and disengages. If there are any issues with that the CD orange light will flash.
Check condition of the alternator - any oil on it? If so, you are due for cam seals replacement.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 AM

Thank you for the reply.

I don't know if it's the Sport or not. If it is, it's still not a bad trade deal if it's in good enough shape and if she pays me some cash so I can afford to register it. Sales tax alone will be a few hundred bucks, plus potentially another $100 for the registration costs. I'll also have to see when it's smog check ($15) is due again, but it should be next year.

I've never had a 4WD or AWD vehicle, if it's not the 2WD, so I will have to figure out how to do it. From a quick look on Google images, it looks like it should just be an easy to use switch.

Based on photos, I was surprised how generously sized the engine bay is for a vehicle made after the early to mid 90s. I do minor repairs myself when ever I feel comfortable doing so.

In regards to the cam seals - if so then it would be a good time to do the timing belt. Then again, even if not just to be safe. I saw mention online that it uses interference engines. Is that true?

The two timing belts I have done were non-interference so I'd be nervous about doing interference. If a shop does it and messes it up, they'll owe me an engine. If I mess it up, I'm just screwed.

Last edited by BenWA; 07-30-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:54 PM

She couldn't make it down here today and won't be able to until the weekend. Her daughter is still using the Montero right now. Her own car has a bad wheel bearing and she's waiting on the parts. (I just did that on my car!)

I asked for extra info and this is what I got: (Things in quotation marks are quoting her):

- "Sport" (I don't know the trim level)
- "Silver"
- "4x4" (AWD? 4WD?)
- "about 150,000" miles
- "rear drivers quarter panel damage but not too bad"
- "after market rims and tires" (Lets hope it's not low profile wheels on a 4WD...)
- "a nice roof rack"

Last edited by BenWA; 07-30-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:05 PM

oops.. duplicate post.

Last edited by BenWA; 07-30-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:57 PM

Montero engines are interference type. Doing a timing belt on it is no different than on non-interference engine. Just make sure you align all the marks and make sure all is good and tight. There is a good permanent post on this forum related to doing a timing belt work. If you have to do a front cam seal then yes it is a good time to do a timing belt, since it involves same steps (+1) as the timing belt change over.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Montero engines are interference type. Doing a timing belt on it is no different than on non-interference engine. Just make sure you align all the marks and make sure all is good and tight. There is a good permanent post on this forum related to doing a timing belt work. If you have to do a front cam seal then yes it is a good time to do a timing belt, since it involves same steps (+1) as the timing belt change over.
Thanks for confirming the interference thing.

I agree, may as well go one step further in for the belt if camshaft seals are being done. Like on my mom's 2003 Taurus with over 150k miles. When her timing cover gasket was leaking coolant fairly badly, I told her to spend the extra dough to get the timing chain done at the same time since it was already being torn into anyway. She was about to pay a shop a few hundred bucks to do *just* the timing cover gasket.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:33 PM

The lady has fallen silent and didn't respond to my last text. Figures, a typical Craigslist flake. Acted so happy about what I have, amazed I'd consider her trade offer... then totally drops the whole thing and stops responding when prompted to actually meet to view each other's vehicles discuss the possibility of the trade.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:39 PM

Low and behold, she responded today. She's attempting to file for lost title from another state where it's titled and registered. To quote her, "it is very complicated". She may know more by Wednesday and will contact me again when she hears back from the DMV there.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:44 PM

Be careful of scammers. Make sure to double and triple check that everything is in order.

Quick Reply: Might be trading for a 2003 Montero