Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Mitsubishi Maybach (just kidding) Steering Box

Old 01-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Default Mitsubishi Maybach (just kidding) Steering Box

I have been on the prowl for a straight, rust-free 1990/1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS since I sold my last car in Chicago and moved to LA. I finally found one in Arizona, made the drive, brought her home and am now the prowd owner of a 1990 2tone (tan on white) LS, dubbed Mitzy. She may not be a Maybach, but the retro 2tone look is amazing.

Here's the problem:
She need some mechanical work in order to fully restore her. What is the deal with the suspension and steering on this model? I believe I need at least a new steering box, idle arms, ball joints, and bushings. In particular, how much should the big-ticket steering box run me? Is there a cheaper solution?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Default RE: Mitsubishi Maybach (just kidding) Steering Box

I used to have a 90 Montero and loved it (green with tan interior). I always wanted the one with the two tone paint like yours. Are you sure you need a new steering box? Have you tried to adjust it? Adjusting does not always work (sometimes causes sticky spots when turning) but is worth a try?