Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero mk1 gearbox / 4x4 problem / question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 03:38 PM
Default Montero mk1 gearbox / 4x4 problem / question

Hi there,

I hope somebody can answer my question here.
I'm residing in Colombia and have a Montero mk1 Wagon, 3.0 v6 1994 over here, with a little problemita (again)

The former owner drove some time with little oil in the gearbox, so I had it 'serviced' at a garage (they put a new seal between the gearbox and the 4x4 cage) No leaks anymore. They also put a new clutch in it.
The pinions / synchromesh rings make some noise now, but for now it's fine. (hope to find a decent gearbox some day)

The problem I have now is this: when I start the car and drive in 2H, it seems like the 4x4 system can't disengage or something, a rattling / grinding sound comes from underneath. When I put it in 4H it drives fine.
The way I drive it now is: start up in 4H, pull up til second gear, put it in neutral and change the 4x4 lever to 2H. Then it drives perfectly fine. However, when I put it in reverse, the problem starts again. And when I turn off the engine and start it up again, the problem comes again too.

I read that the mk2 versions can have some kind of solenoid problem which gives (I think) the same grinding noise.
But in case of the mk1 I can't find any information, and it has a different 4x4 system I suppose. (no super select 4x4)

The mechanics over here do not have a clue. Did anybody experience or know this problem?
Maybe they didn't assemble the gearbox in a proper way?
Or does this car have some kind of solenoid or cylinder in the 4x4 system that can be malfunctioning? Something the mechanics don't know about over here?

Thanks in advance!
Joost