Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero or Montero Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Default Montero or Montero Sport?

Hi folks. I'm new here, thanks ahead of time for any assistance.

I live in Puerto Rico, just bought a used 4x4 Montero, and want to make sure I'm ordering the correct parts. I bought it from a low end used car dealer, and they listed it as a 97 Montero. The door sticker indicates that it's a 1997. When I do a VIN search it shows it being a 1998 Monetro 3.0 liter.

Rockauto, Autozone, etc. don't have an option in their dropdowns for a Montero 3.0. Just a Montero 3.5l or a Montero Sport 3.0l. From looking at photos of lower control arms, mine looks like a regular Montero as it has the threaded studs for the end links on the current control arms, while the replacement control arms for the Sport don't have the studs.

Here are my questions. Am I buying parts for a 97 or a 98? Is this a Montero or a Montero Sport? I'm pretty sure it's a Montero, but cant find parts for a 3.0 Liter regular Montero. I need a starter and don't want to ship the wrong one all the way down here.

Thanks!