Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

montero owners questions

Old 03-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Default montero owners questions

hey guys
i have a couple of questions,
has anybody have installed those save gas and more horsepower things that you put in the airflow so the air could spin and i forgot what else jejeje.
if i put real HID lights to my monty wich i have 9007. would it damage my headlights(as in burn or melt)
im looking for more performance but not speed. just torque cus i have seen some chips online and have wondered if any owners
here have had experiences with them
regards,
Marco

Old 03-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Default RE: montero owners questions

More power and torque isn't cheap. Those air intake things that "swirl" the air and create vortex's are junk according to all that I've spoken with who have tried them.

As for the HID systems. I believe if you put one in, you will add the special HID ballast and special HID light bulbs as well.

As for chip replacements, be careful. Most chip replacement setups are a partial fix. You need to improve the entire system (exhaust, fuel, air, spark) to get any decent performance increase and most increase HP not Torque.

You may want to look at a turbo tuned for more HP at low RPM's which it sounds like something you're after. It's not cheap and requires alot of knowledge to install but it's a great way to increase torque/power. Which year and engine do you have?

Old 03-21-2006, 07:09 AM

i have a montero 03 was wondering the same things. How could I increase performance but use less fuel? Is there such a thing?

Old 03-21-2006, 07:06 PM

The Tornado's are junk, had one a few years back, no increase in HP or MPG. To maximize the HP and torque in your engine you need to help it breathe better= intake and exhaust. The "chips" being equated to a partial fix is not true, it is just restricted by the other items mentioned. The more air your engine can get, the better(cool air). You also need to expel the spent gases(exhaust) efficiently. A hotter spark will give better more complete combustion, maximizing the engines potential. I would start with a new intake and at least a less restrictive muffler, those will be the least expensive with the exception of new plugs.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:38 PM

Hey thanks dirtwagon, so I guess I just have to go looking for those parts you mentioned...does anyone know any brand name and proven parts to increase air intake and maximize exhaust? Where should I go looking for them? Im trying the Internet..

Old 03-29-2006, 12:30 AM

For mitsu 4x4's? Not much out there that I've seen that would really make a significant difference.

At best you might try ensuring you have a properly tuned & efficient running engine but even then at most you might increase mileage by no more than 3-5mpg and realistically only 1-2mpg. Now I'm sure there might be something I've missed and I hope someone can chime in with something new.

Another thing you can do to optimize fuel efficientcy is minimize vehicle weight by carring the least amount of stuff, keeping your tires properly inflated, and minimizing using accessories that use alot of power (things like your AC, and a ton of electronic accessories, etc.).

If you're "seriously" concerned about gas mileage my suggestion is to buy something that has aerodynamics that are not so much like a brick and more like a teardrop or alternatively buy a hybrid or a vw/audi turbo diesel. I saw on the show Top Gear the audi A8 TDI actually gets 50mpg in real world driving (granted they pushed things by minimizing gas consumption including turning off the AC to eek the most out of their engine).

HTH.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:28 PM

Had a Tornado in my 02 Montero Limited the last 3 years and sold it on ebay for exactly what I paid for it. I did a before and after survey of my MPG and there is absolutely ZERO change.
Don’t waste your money.