Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero Shock Absorbers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Default Montero Shock Absorbers?

So I recently purchased a 2006 montero limited and am just now realizing what a rough ride it has. I never noticed this on the highway, but now that I am back home it is extremely apparent. Granted, the roads in my area are horrible, but even my honda takes small pot holes better than the montero. It just doesn't seem right for a 5,000lb SUV to be scared of little bumps .

After some research, it seems like others have had this problem? I saw in a previous post Mr. Z recommended someone changing there shocks with OEM parts from mitsubishiparts.com. That rig had 116K miles on it, and mine has 77K miles.

Do you think it's time for me to get new shocks and/or whatever else is needed for a smooth ride? Or am I just destined to rough riding around the local roads?

Thanks

Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 PM

If you're looking for a smooth riding pavement rig, I think KYB makes an adjustable shock.
I'm assuming at 77k the springs are OEM, and if they have only done pavement driving should be in fine shape.
If you're looking to build a back country rig that you can load for 4x4 trips than you should think about going with HD springs and shocks that can hold up to that kind of driving.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:40 PM

I like the idea of the HD springs when carrying a heavy load such as a hunting week with a few deer on the rear carrier. But when empty it will ride like a dump truck. Does anyone make airbags for it? I had them on my Xterra and they are really great because you adjust the pressure according to load weight.