Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero sport 3.0 no spark 2 coils

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 12:10 AM
Default Montero sport 3.0 no spark 2 coils

Hello
Driving my 2003 montero and suddenly shut off
Since than i cant get the car started
there is no spark on 2 coils
only for coil 2/5
Those are the tests i have allready done
checked the ignition module and its fine checked with oscilloscope crank and cam sensor signal looks great
checked continuity from cam and crank sensors to ecu and everything looks fine
i get no pulse from ecu to ignition module
There is 6 pins on the module
oc1 oc2 oc3 are for the coils
and i get pulse only to oc2 so ignition module only trigger b2 for coil 2/5
with scanner i can see rpm but on tacho rpm wont move when i try to start
Send the ecu to test it and they said its good nothing wrong
sometimes after long starter i get p0340 code for camshaft sensor but again with oscilloscope i get good signal
what can it be?

Sorry for my bad english
Thanks

Old 10-15-2020, 12:56 AM

You could just have a dead coil pack. Have you tried swapping the coil for 1/4 to the 2/5 position to see what happens? It sounds like you have very advanced knowledge of electrical diagnostics so it's likely you already ruled this out but I have to ask.

As I was typing this I realized another possibility, you said it shut off while driving so I'm wondering if it possibly jumped time. If it did jump time, the ECU is likely detecting the difference in camshaft signal and is preventing the engine from starting. What's the odometer reading and has the timing belt and components ever been changed?

Old 10-15-2020, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Naeos_Valkarian
You could just have a dead coil pack. Have you tried swapping the coil for 1/4 to the 2/5 position to see what happens? It sounds like you have very advanced knowledge of electrical diagnostics so it's likely you already ruled this out but I have to ask.

As I was typing this I realized another possibility, you said it shut off while driving so I'm wondering if it possibly jumped time. If it did jump time, the ECU is likely detecting the difference in camshaft signal and is preventing the engine from starting. What's the odometer reading and has the timing belt and components ever been changed?
Thank you for fast respond
coils are fine
timing is the next thing i wanna check
the belt is tight and teeth looks good
but still it is strange because even when im erasing all codes i cant see spark even for a moment
i will check that and will update later

Old 10-15-2020, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Digiman
Thank you for fast respond
coils are fine
timing is the next thing i wanna check
the belt is tight and teeth looks good
but still it is strange because even when im erasing all codes i cant see spark even for a moment
i will check that and will update later
ok timing is spot on

Old 10-15-2020, 09:33 AM

Even before getting to the last post I was shaking my head - no it's not timing. OP states that there is no trigger pulse going to coils 1 and 3. Ignition pulses to each coil are triggered by the crankshaft position signal. Since your PCM tested good, check signal quality for crankshaft sensor (the one on the front of the engine). For that matter, just in case, check both crank and cam sensors. What does the waveform looks on both of them? Another thing to check is the ignition control module.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Even before getting to the last post I was shaking my head - no it's not timing. OP states that there is no trigger pulse going to coils 1 and 3. Ignition pulses to each coil are triggered by the crankshaft position signal. Since your PCM tested good, check signal quality for crankshaft sensor (the one on the front of the engine). For that matter, just in case, check both crank and cam sensors. What does the waveform looks on both of them? Another thing to check is the ignition control module.
Thanks for the reply
Look above
Allready tested crank and cam sensor and both have great waveform on scope
Ignition control module cannot be bad because it dosent get signal from the ecu
only for one coil wich is working
Allready try another working ignition module first of all
still cant find the problem

Old 10-15-2020, 01:47 PM

I'm completely stumped...

Old 10-15-2020, 06:17 PM

I'm not saying it's the case because you said the ECU was tested and was ok, but it may not be ok. It's not unheard of to have an ECU pass testing but still be bad in some minute way. At this point I have to wonder if this is a possible grounding issue with the ECU. Check all the cars grounding points for corrosion. I'm really not sure which ground point the ECU would tie into but I imagine it's inside the car somewhere, they can still get rusted in certain scenarios even with them being inside the car. Just throwing ideas out there.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:55 PM

I've been really puzzled with this case and had been poking around some more. Your post states that you have 2003 Montero Sport. Unfortunately I don't have electrical diagram for Sport, only for full sized Montero. However, on one of the ignition system descriptions for 2003 Montero i found an "ignition failure sensor". It sits inline with signal to the coils and also provides output to the tachometer on the instrument cluster. Since you mention you have no RPM signal when cranking, I wonder if you may have a similar system.

Back to throwing stuff at the wall. The tests you performed with crank and camshaft sensors - did you confirm proper signal at ECU for both, or just at the sensors? Can you check if ECU (PCM) is providing output to coil controls. Check this signal at the ECU side of the harness, not at ignition module. Again, on full size Monero, it is connector D-133, pins 31, 35, 44. If you get signal there, but not at the pins on the ignition module, then you have a problem with the wiring between ECU and ignition module. If you still get no signal at ECU, I think it is ECU failure. I can't figure out any other way.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
I've been really puzzled with this case and had been poking around some more. Your post states that you have 2003 Montero Sport. Unfortunately I don't have electrical diagram for Sport, only for full sized Montero. However, on one of the ignition system descriptions for 2003 Montero i found an "ignition failure sensor". It sits inline with signal to the coils and also provides output to the tachometer on the instrument cluster. Since you mention you have no RPM signal when cranking, I wonder if you may have a similar system.

Back to throwing stuff at the wall. The tests you performed with crank and camshaft sensors - did you confirm proper signal at ECU for both, or just at the sensors? Can you check if ECU (PCM) is providing output to coil controls. Check this signal at the ECU side of the harness, not at ignition module. Again, on full size Monero, it is connector D-133, pins 31, 35, 44. If you get signal there, but not at the pins on the ignition module, then you have a problem with the wiring between ECU and ignition module. If you still get no signal at ECU, I think it is ECU failure. I can't figure out any other way.
Checked all of that and to me it looks like an ecu too
took it today to other lab to test the ecu
Everything work just no ignition
so i hope they will find something wrong
if they dont
I will buy another ecu and program the immobilizer
will update as soon as i have answers

Sorry for my english again

Thank you all

Quick Reply: Montero sport 3.0 no spark 2 coils