Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero Sport Limited owners trim badge question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 07:47 PM
Default Montero Sport Limited owners trim badge question

Hi--I'm on the lookout to buy a Montero Sport LTD. When I look on Craigslist, in cities up and down the west coast, I don't see any. But I noticed that a lot of people don't seem to know what they have, and Sports are often posted as regular Monteros, so I figured they might not mention LTD in their post. So, I started zooming in on the right corner of the liftgate in the craigslist photos, where there is a badge with the name of the trim. I've seen ES, LS, and XLS,. But I have yet to see a badge saying LTD.

My question to anybody who owns a MS Limited is if the badge on the liftgate says LTD, or if it says something else, maybe XLS. If it just says XLS, is there a way to tell from viewing the outside of the car if it's a Limited? My thanks to anybody who takes the time to answer this silly question.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:17 PM

You are right - Montero Sport often is listed as just Montero. I'm not sure about how the trims are indicated on the Sport, but on a full size Montero, the only place where it says "Limited" is on the badge on front fenders, right in front of the doors

Old 02-24-2019, 05:25 PM

Jimmy......I am restoring my 94 Montero SR, and it has the optional rear diff. locker and the center locker. I was under the impression that they stopped offering the locker options in 1999. Is that true, or do some of the newer Monteros have locking differentials? My opinion is that the 91 - 99 Monteros are built better than the newer ones. However, I am also having a real hard time locating good ones from the 90s. I was hoping to find another decent one or another one to have on hand for parts.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:45 PM

I have a 2001 Ltd, and on the black trim under the lift gate window there is a badge on the right side that says "LIMITED" and "MONTERO SPORT" on the left.