Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

My 2001 Montero/Pajero

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 08:50 PM
Default My 2001 Montero/Pajero

Thought I would share some photos of my 2001 NM Montero/Pajero after a much-needed early spring bath. This has been an awesome car; still looks better than anything new on the road, in my opinion. I still get compliments and questions about it and people asking if its new, because they don't see the body style. Just added the roof basket, which I think gives it a more rugged look. 165,000 miles and still running great. Only issues are a small oil leak around the main seal and the clear coat is peeling on the top, which would cost more to repaint than the car is worth, I am told. The truck still makes me smile every time I drive it. What a shame Mitsubishi doesn't make 'em like this anymore!

Old 05-20-2021, 12:31 AM

have you checked you rear struts?

Old 05-20-2021, 09:02 AM

Mitsubishi still makes Montero, they just don't sell them in U.S. All because some idiot years ago wanted some publicity and fame. These people kept pushing the car past its limits until it "tipped over" at higher speed that the so called "test" has ever called for. Made a big deal out if it and few lawers got a bit wealthier by claming the vehicle was unsafe. Mitsubishi said F*** It and stopped selling Montero in U.S. Every other country in the world, including Canada and Mexico continued to sell them. Truly a shame of a scam.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:10 AM

Hi, I mean, have you checked your rear struts, in the pics the rear tires seem to have negative camber, mine used to look like that, the struts were worn

Old 05-20-2021, 09:14 AM

I didnt know that, I remember years ago suzuki had the same issue with Consumer Reports. . I love mine, I compare it to a Lexus GX, if mitsu still offered it in the USA I would buy one eyes closed.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had noticed the negative camber, but didn't think about the struts. So I took the truck to a local tire shop to have an alignment done, which was overdo. I asked him to look at the shocks and struts while he was at it. He said there are no rear struts in this vehicle, only shocks, and that it rode well even though the shocks and front struts were original to the vehicle.
Also, there is no adjustment, according to him, for camber on the back wheels. So I am at a loss on how to correct the camber.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:57 PM

Rear Camber adjustment is on page 34-17 of the shop manual, at least for my 06.
Inspection and replacement of rear shocks is very easy, definitely a diy and don't even have to jack the truck up. You can look at em and if they r oily then replace, or, you can remove the bottom bolt and if you push the shock up and it doesn't return then replace.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2006Montylim
Rear Camber adjustment is on page 34-17 of the shop manual, at least for my 06.
Inspection and replacement of rear shocks is very easy, definitely a diy and don't even have to jack the truck up. You can look at em and if they r oily then replace, or, you can remove the bottom bolt and if you push the shock up and it doesn't return then replace.
Thanks for the quick reply! I will definitely check this out for myself.
And you are right on about the comparison of the Lexus LX series. In fact, I would say the Mitsubishi of this era was superior. Closest thing to the Montero available in the States today is the GX460...a nice ride but way overpriced (but great reliability, as my Montero has been).
If the Montero/Pajero would return to the U.S. with its former build quality, I would buy one without hesitation.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:26 PM

I had no idea that was the reason. I assumed they never sold well here. I’ve owned lots of vehicles and my 2000 limited (same exact color as the one in this post, but his is nicer!) is my favorite of them all.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:30 PM

I have a 2000 limited. Would mine also have shocks and not struts in the back? Are there control arms on the rear? I’m not able to find those parts anywhere on the web. Thanx for any help. Dan

Quick Reply: My 2001 Montero/Pajero