Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

My horn comes on by itself

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Default My horn comes on by itself

My horn started honking on its own at 0300 ,and i had to pound the steeringwheel center until it shut off. (9 hrs later: It came on again and i simply push my palm into the steeringwheel to stop it.)
It took me 30 sec of pounding it before it stopped. My wife has to drive into town for the day and I wanted to
simply unplug the horn so she wouldnt have to deal with it in town or call me to come in an try and fix it.

Simply pulling/rocking the connectors doesnt remove them

I tried the pressing routine while pulling & rocking from side to side ,but neither horns connection offers to slide off at all.
I also tried Pliars,but short of breaking them they didnt budge any more than by hand.

Im thinking theres some special depressing a tab or prying method to disconnect them,but attempts still didnt work.

Ok,so now shes left for town and I told her if it starts honking just ignore it. Dont let anyone try and disconnect the wires, just let it keep honking. Wow,drive the montero around honking and parking then walking into a store with it still honking! Could I do that? probably. She'll probably just come on home where Ill have to cut the wires and that should shut it up.

QUESTIONS
1-Any ideas how to disconnect the clips from the horn?
2-What has to be repaired or replaced to solve the honking pb.
3-How do i pull the steeringwheel center off ?
4-Any pics?
BTW i did a horn search and it looks like no one has discussed horns at all.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 04-03-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Banned

It's pretty simple, just unplug the horn.

The horn is on a ground circuit, so when it gets grounded then the horn relay energizes, and the horn circuit activates. You either have a problem with the horn button making contact, or there's a wire that is exposed and grounding itself out.

Go under the hood and unplug the horn, otherwise you'll probably burn it out. Horns get extremely hot.... trust me, I found this out :/

Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Default Horn Fix

Check out this thread for cause and solution:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...highlight=Horn

Old 04-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

I had to do the same thing to my Civic. Took a momentary on switch from an old PC and wired it up.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 PM

It didnt turn out simple.

The montero was gone all day and no horn honking until 8pm and dark.
So while the horns were blaring I tried to pull the easiest horns clip first.
i squeezed the clip where there appeared to be a release tab on all 3 horn and none budged.
I cut each horns wires and removed the horns.
i even tried to remove them when they were on my bench but they are stuck good. Ill have to get back on that in a few days.
Fortunately i left enough wire,except on 1, to splice them with quick disconnects.

Now ,anyone know how or have the location of a diagram for removal of the sw cover and the part I will need to replace?

Originally Posted by Sebba
It's pretty simple, just unplug the horn.

The horn is on a ground circuit, so when it gets grounded then the horn relay energizes, and the horn circuit activates. You either have a problem with the horn button making contact, or there's a wire that is exposed and grounding itself out.

Go under the hood and unplug the horn, otherwise you'll probably burn it out. Horns get extremely hot.... trust me, I found this out :/

Old 04-05-2014, 04:59 AM

Hi
Did you get your horn fix yet?

Paloma grande

Old 04-06-2014, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Paloma grande
Hi
Did you get your horn fix yet?

Paloma grande

No,too busy to get to it. Ill keep this topic updated

Old 04-06-2014, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Haynes1701
Check out this thread for cause and solution:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...highlight=Horn

Good explanation w/pics. How do you take the steering wheel pad off? Id like to peek inside if that will help. it could get me intop more trouble,The bag wont explode on me will it?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by PalmSprings
No,too busy to get to it. Ill keep this topic updated
Hello
I suggest you search "horn activates itself 01 montero" this will tell you how to repair the problem. I had the same problem with my and this is how I fixed it,
Good lack

Old 04-07-2014, 05:07 AM

This is what I meant before, have a look at this:
Horn Activate itself '01 Montero LTD - Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

From,
Paloma grande

Quick Reply: My horn comes on by itself