Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New to 4x4 scene

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Smile New to 4x4 scene

Hi to all,

Just recently purchased a 1995 Mitsubishi Montero LS couple of days ago. Paid only $1500 for it, 136k miles with working A/C. The body is in a good shape no body rust, some surface rusts from the front and rear bumpers. Under body as well is in good shape no rotten frame just minor surface rust since Illinois has salt during winter. The Montero has some flaws like passenger window behind the driver door doesn't go down, minor leak from the oil cooler line behind the grille, climate control doesn't lit as well as the right front wheel indicator light from the instrument panel, Tachometer doesn't work too, power locks doesn't work and driver door can't open from outside, but will open once you opened it from inside(solution?). The 4x4 works great. I'm very excited having this truck, I've always wanted to have a truck like this since I was a kid and this has been my dream truck for decades and now dream has been accomplished. I am very happy to have it and make my off roading dream come true with the help of you guys. I am very happy to share it with you all. Hoping to learn a lot during my stay on here.

Name:  IMG_3281_zps9cd061f8.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3286_zps67c9d2c5.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  94.0 KB

Future Plans: Lift, Big wheel and tire setup

Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 PM

Congratulations on your purchase.
Our Montero has served us well...over 256K and still going strong.
Great looking rig.
I'm sure you're already planning for fluid exchanges on all fluids (be sure to run MM ATF only). Has the timing belt, water pump, ect,. been changed? I'd also check the valve guide seals, they are known to "get old" and fail.
Good Luck

Old 01-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Thumbs up Mr. Z

Originally Posted by Mr. Z.
Congratulations on your purchase.
Our Montero has served us well...over 256K and still going strong.
Great looking rig.
I'm sure you're already planning for fluid exchanges on all fluids (be sure to run MM ATF only). Has the timing belt, water pump, ect,. been changed? I'd also check the valve guide seals, they are known to "get old" and fail.
Good Luck
Thanks Mr. Z for the heads up. You're a nice guy! Yes I'm currently getting all the maintenance parts I needed and will work on it asap when all my parts are completed including the timing belt kit. Will do check valve guide seals per your recommendation. Thanks a lot! :thumbup: