Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New battery and Alternator, but the Batt/Parking Brake light still come on...HELP ME!

Old 08-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Default New battery and Alternator, but the Batt/Parking Brake light still come on...HELP ME!

long Story

Ok I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 2WD, 3.5V engine.... I had some problems when I first bought it, so I had the ALTERNATOR and BATTERY replaced.... shortly after that the truck died on me, on the way home, I let it sit for several hours, and started to drive more frequently and the Monty was good for about 4weeks...then a few days ago the Battery and Parking brake light came on, while I was driving.... Sometimes its intermittent other times its on all the time... when I start up the car, the lights dont show, for about 20min's then it comes on, regardless if the radio/ac etc are on. I do have a V/C gasket leak, its been leaking about the same, during the entire time, Im not sure why its doing this now... Can someone help me???

~New Battery
~New Alternator
~Seeping Valve cover gasket (possibly getting some on the Alternator)
~12.8 Volts while running, when warning lights are on, it drops very slowly
~Had the Alternator and Battery checked at Autozone, all was good.

Last edited by corsair_105; 08-09-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:17 PM

is there anyone that can help me, i'd appreciate it

Old 08-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Default Check that all grounds are secure

Corsair,

I had the same problem on my 1998 Montero Sport after an alternator replacement. Check with a volt meter to make sure that all of the grounds have been securely fastened. That, or take it back to the repair shop and ask them to check it out.

The Montero Sport, at least the 1998 model, has a lot of grounds. If one becomes disconnected or loose, it will cause your problem. I drove around for three years with your symptoms as the repair shop could not find the loose ground. Replaced my alternator AGAIN last week and it appears to be fixed.

Hope this helps,
flyhotair

Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Default You are not alone

You are not alone. This happened to me and the chain shop replaced the alternator though I feared that they were just replacing a part and not solving the problem. So 7 weeks later and 1016 miles the security system goes off, the car won't start either. Not trusting the chain repair shop I have it towed to the dealer (this is my third Montero). They state the alternator is bad, power going in and no power coming out. Dealer recommends only OEM for twice as much money as the chains remanufactured unit (now units). Yet, when the chain store put the remanufactured alternator in (the one that just went bad) the voltmeter on my dash never registered more than 12 BUT the shop voltmeter showed 14+, but already I am getting the feeling I am draining the battery. After having research the web and focusing just on alternators in general, I really feel I have an open circuit, power drain someplace, and repair shops really do not want to go past the "first error message" so they just change the alternator. The Montero will be going back to the chain repair shop and I will try to keep you posted. I am going to stress to them that we /they need to "work the problem". 3rdMontero

Old 10-19-2013, 05:55 PM

Did they "work the problem" to a solution???

I got a 1999 Montero, same issues

Old 10-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Banned

Something tells me after four years of not posting he just might have forgotten about this thread.