Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New to Mitsubishi

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:41 PM

Poor idle is most likely also related to the same lean condition you have.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Poor idle is most likely also related to the same lean condition you have.
Thanks Hunter. It's raining and I can't clean the IAC and throttle body if it is dirty. I'll try tomorrow but I'm getting antsy. 😂

Old 04-22-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by judo
Thanks Hunter. It's raining and I can't clean the IAC and throttle body if it is dirty. I'll try tomorrow but I'm getting antsy. 😂
Got it back after thermostat and MAF change and same code. Bank one lean. I still did not get the freeze frame but I asked if the O2 sensor needs to be changed and mechanic said it looks like it's new. I'll be dropping it off Monday again. He wants to keep it for two days and do more tests. By the way, he smoke tested it and no issues there. I think the injectors need a visit.

The mechanics by the way were wondering where I found this gem. They're impressed at how clean it is. As am I. 😂

Last edited by judo; 04-22-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:43 PM

It is possible that lean condition is due to low fuel pressure in the system. That's why need freeze frames. Don't replace injectors unless you are certain that other parts of the fuel system are good.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:18 PM

It is possible that lean condition is due to low fuel pressure in the system. That's why need freeze frames. Don't replace injectors unless you are certain that other parts of the fuel system are good.
Ah. Got it. I'll get it tomorrow. Thanks for taking time , Hunter!

Old 04-23-2017, 10:28 PM

​​​​​​​
Here it goes, Hunter. I ordered a new scanner and it finally got here. Same code still appears P0125 and this P0170.

Freeze Frame:

DTCFRZF ---> P0170
FUELSYS1 ---> CL
FUELSYS2 ---> CL
LOAD_PCT(%) ---> 65.9
ETC (*F) ----> 198
SHRTFT1(%) ---> 25.0
LONGFT1(%) ---> 12.5
SHRTFT2(%) ---> -0.8
LONGFT2(%) ---> 5.5
RPM(/min) ---> 2230
VSS(mph) ---> 17

Hope this helps and Thanks again in advance.

Last edited by judo; 04-24-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:56 PM

Judo, this helps a lot. The FF data indicates that the issue is localized ONLY to Bank 1 (passenger side). This rules out problems with fuel pump, fuel filter, MAF and multitude of other sensors which measure things on both banks at the same time. This leaves follow possible culprits:
1. vacuum leak on or near intake manifold connection to the Bank 1. I know you've tried testing for vacuum leak and did not find one. That doesn't mean it could not be there.
2. exhaust leak on bank 1 (cracked exhaust manifold)
3. problems with fuel injector signal on bank 1. I think this one is least likely, because you'd be missing on three cylinders. Possible, but not likely.

You most definitely do not need to replace 6 fuel injectors. Have your mechanic check for vacuum leak and exhaust leak, then check fuel injector pulse signal.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:27 PM

Judo, this helps a lot. The FF data indicates that the issue is localized ONLY to Bank 1 (passenger side). This rules out problems with fuel pump, fuel filter, MAF and multitude of other sensors which measure things on both banks at the same time. This leaves follow possible culprits:
1. vacuum leak on or near intake manifold connection to the Bank 1. I know you've tried testing for vacuum leak and did not find one. That doesn't mean it could not be there.
2. exhaust leak on bank 1 (cracked exhaust manifold)
3. problems with fuel injector signal on bank 1. I think this one is least likely, because you'd be missing on three cylinders. Possible, but not likely.

You most definitely do not need to replace 6 fuel injectors. Have your mechanic check for vacuum leak and exhaust leak, then check fuel injector pulse signal.
yes! I was hoping you'd see this before I bring it tomorrow. It's on! And to tell you the truth, I thought it sounded funky like a leaking exhaust. I'll check that closely. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2017, 05:04 PM
Default Cracked Exhaust

Cracked exhaust manifolds are common in Monteros!
Please let us know if you find the problem.

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Juanchos
Cracked exhaust manifolds are common in Monteros!
Please let us know if you find the problem.

Thanks.
I'll be leaving it at my mechanics tonight to be thoroughly checked tomorrow since I've ordered parts I don't need so far. If he doesn't find anything, I'll take it to another shop that's more familiar with these trucks. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: New to Mitsubishi