Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New owner 1996 Montero RS with lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Default New owner 1996 Montero RS with lots of questions

Hi,

I'm really excited that we found a decent Montero at a great price. Our old 85 Cherokee Chief was having issues in the snow. Since we live near 9000 feet we can always expect snow and a good reliable 4x4 is a must have.

We have owned the Montero for 3 months now and have been averaging around 18 mpg. Mostly up and down mountain driving. Seems good to me. The previous owner had just replaced the timing belt and the choke module? However, when cold the truck will idle but die if you try to go without allowing a couple minutes ( or longer depending on air temp ) before you can go without stalling.

First question: Would there be a cold weather adjustment somewhere?

The starter went out last week so we replaced it. I'm in a wheelchair so I depend on my wife to be my eyes underneath. She said that there were 2 plugs disconnected and near the starter area just hanging.

2: Any idea what those plugs may be and should they be plugged in?

Even with the new starter we still have problems. The truck sat for 3 days and fired right up. My wife drove it to the dumpster and back 1 mile and the next day it would not start.

3: Could there be something not turning off?

While installing the starter they noticed we had an oil leak. It appears to be coming from the rear passenger side valve cover. I had read somewhere that there are access ports that may be the culprit.

4: Are these ports on the passenger side?

Last question for now is the sun/moon roof. At the front of the glass it sits flush with the roof line. However, the rear appears to be below the roof line about a 1/2 inch. I took a photo and will try to post it here.

5: Should the sun roof be flush all the way around?

Thank you, Dave

Old 04-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Default Welcome Dave

I assume that you have the 3.5L since it is a SR. I bought mine new in 95 and still love it. My moonroof also sits a little lower in the rear? Any of the other issues i dont know about. I did have an issue with the door switch that was draining my battery even though the dome light was off. Hope it helps.