Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New owner, first post, 1999 Montero LX with questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 03:02 PM
Default New owner, first post, 1999 Montero LX with questions

I just acquired a 1999 Montero LX from its 78-year old previous female owner. She loved the vehicle but had a power steering leak while driving in wine country with friends. She came to a party and I let her take my Mercedes-Benz back with her guests, and I took the Montero back on a road worthy of a Porsche turbo, at night, and lost all power steering assist halfway through the pass!

In order to get to the leak, I need to remove the front rock guard, but the two bolts near the towing eyes have been exposed to salt air at the beach for years. After soaking them, I feel that there are nuts on the opposite side of the fasteners with no easy access to put a wrench on the nut. Can someone confirm if it's a threaded frame connector or a bolt and nut arrangement? Any trick to removal?

Are any parts still available from Mitsubishi dealers for the 2nd generation Montero? I need a hub center cap and both sliding window locks. Also the PO gave away the rear leather 3rd row jump seats. Any chance of finding these anywhere?

I have a Bronco, Range Rover,, Land Rovers, and Mercedes-Benz MLs. The Montero is unique in having a rear sunroof and second row seats with individual armrests and cupholders. Pretty cool!

I'm also at the beach in an area with glass smooth highways but the worst unpaved roads and potholes imaginable when off the highways! What's the largest tire size that I can fit on the stock 15" rims without steering interference? Shocks are shot, so any recommendations for street/highway/off-road daily use are welcomed. Class III/ IV hitch possible?

No Mitsubishi knowledge at all but definitely not an automotive neophyte with many other cars and trucks.

Thank all in advance for ANY answers!

Old 11-11-2021, 09:49 AM

Front bolts on the rock guard pannel are bolted directly into the frame. I think the nuts are welded into the frame, so there is no way to put a wrench on the other side. If you can't spin the top of the bolt, you may have to grind it off with an air grinder or a dremmel type tool. Then drill out remaining part of the bolt and refresh the threads with the chaser tap.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:07 AM
Default Thank you!!!

I thought that the bolts must be into chassis nuts, but the going is so slow that I assumed spinning was occurring!

I’ll keep at it.

Any other assistance is greatly appreciated. I thought that this might be a dead forum for Montero owners and was looking for others when you responded!