Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New owner of a Gen 3 Montero limited

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 12:51 PM
Default New owner of a Gen 3 Montero limited

Hello ladies and gentlemen I just wanted to introduce my self. I just picked up a 2003 montero lim. Pretty much stuck except for some rims and a body lift. I was looking at a Lx470 or gx but people wanted a arm a leg and my first born. So I did some research and settled on this beast. I had a mirage back in 06 and the trans went out on me so I vowed to never buy a Mitsu again...but here I'am.

I knew I needed to register for the forums to sort out any problems I may have now and in the near future.

Right now I have two codes "P0171 P0174" seller told me it's two 02 sensors. He gave them to me I'll put them on next week. I found this thread and figure I woul d use it to help me sort out the issue.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/p0171-p0174-only-comes-while-idling-49359/

Old 06-13-2020, 05:03 PM

Congrats on your acquisition and good job looking for info before throwing parts at your Mitsu. Follow the troubleshooting info on the thread you linked. The codes have absolutely nothing to do with O2 sensors NOT working. It is just the opposite - they are WORKING and telling you that something is out of whack. The parts store clerk simply hooked up the OBD2 scanner to the vehicle, saw the codes and sold PO two new O2 sensors. His job is done...
Anyhow, you have the same issue - system too lean simply means that you have unmetered air coming into the system (entering intake manifold after MAF sensor). Do some troubleshooting as described in the other thread and try to find the leak. You may need to move the hoses around to cause vacuum leak to get worse or better until you find where it is happening. On the positive side - you got Lean condition on both banks. that means the leak is somewhere way upstream (I'd check the main air hose first. Make sure the breather hoses from valve cover to intake is connected.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Congrats on your acquisition and good job looking for info before throwing parts at your Mitsu. Follow the troubleshooting info on the thread you linked. The codes have absolutely nothing to do with O2 sensors NOT working. It is just the opposite - they are WORKING and telling you that something is out of whack. The parts store clerk simply hooked up the OBD2 scanner to the vehicle, saw the codes and sold PO two new O2 sensors. His job is done...
Anyhow, you have the same issue - system too lean simply means that you have unmetered air coming into the system (entering intake manifold after MAF sensor). Do some troubleshooting as described in the other thread and try to find the leak. You may need to move the hoses around to cause vacuum leak to get worse or better until you find where it is happening. On the positive side - you got Lean condition on both banks. that means the leak is somewhere way upstream (I'd check the main air hose first. Make sure the breather hoses from valve cover to intake is connected.

Thank you for the fast reply and the knowledge...I will do exactly that

Old 06-14-2020, 02:54 PM

So I think I figured it out. The intake box only has 3 points that secure it tightly. Two metal clamps and a big black hinge. The corner up by the radiator looks open to me. So the box issnt completely closed. I'm curious if a clamp is missing
I looked closer the plastic tab is broken. Wander if I get a new Botom intake box if that will fix it

Last edited by Noahp45; 06-14-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:59 PM

I don't think that is it. The air entering in the box will still be coming in BEFORE the MAF. It will be metered, but it will be UNFILTERED!!!!! You want to fix that for sure to prevent contaminants entering the engine. Keep looking for another leak.
Do you see a little rectangular box right on top of the air box with wires coming to it? The air leak you are tracing will be somewhere after that box.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:45 PM

I don't think that is it. The air entering in the box will still be coming in BEFORE the MAF. It will be metered, but it will be UNFILTERED!!!!! You want to fix that for sure to prevent contaminants entering the engine. Keep looking for another leak.
Do you see a little rectangular box right on top of the air box with wires coming to it? The air leak you are tracing will be somewhere after that box.
dang ok

Yeah Brother....i looked everything looks tight..no cracking of the hoses or anything

Last edited by Noahp45; 06-14-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:08 AM

Check vacuum hoses, then the intake manifold gaskets.
Just in case - check and clean MAF. Check that the diafragm on the EGR us not busted and leaking.
If you can, pull the FF data from yiur codes and shate those.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:05 PM

Check vacuum hoses, then the intake manifold gaskets.
Just in case - check and clean MAF. Check that the diafragm on the EGR us not busted and leaking.
If you can, pull the FF data from yiur codes and shate those.

So I started it last night an the cel was gone. Same thing this morning...weird right? Only thing I did was verify all hoses were on tight. Maybe one was lose.

Curious does anyone know where I can get a battery tray to install a second battery by the air intake?

Old 04-05-2021, 02:38 PM

I've still got that dang pair of codes. P0171, P0174. I changed all vacuum lines and made sure I've got no leaks around the air intake hose to the throttle body. Watched the video HunterD recommended on the OBDII (GREAT VIDEO). My short term fuel trim was at 10% on both banks and the long term fuel trim was at 23% on both banks when I got a freeze frame of the stats. ofcourse, that was after clearing the codes and getting the freeze fram right after the CEL came back on. So the computer didn't have a chance to reset it's new normal as I understand it. Which could be why the short term seems out of the +/- 5% and also as I understand it, the long term fuel trim hasn't had a chance to reset it's increased fuel comsumpsion as normal. Do I have that right HunterD?

Old 04-05-2021, 07:20 PM

I've not heard of anyone installing the second battery on a Montero. Once you mentioned that, my first thought was - Ausles probably have something like that... Yep - first google search came up with this:
https://www.aussiedriftertouring.com...ajero-full-kit
Looks like they are going on opposite side of the engine though. That is likely because of right hand drive engine compartment configuration. It's not exactly what you need, but it's a place to start. Perhaps you can find the tray that fits your Monty from the same company. I've seen some Jeeps with second battery in the trunk compartment. Have you considered that? There is space behind one of the side panels where second climate control unit goes. Are you installing a winch and that's why need for second battery?

Quick Reply: New owner of a Gen 3 Montero limited