Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New owner here

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 02:05 PM
Default New owner here

Hi guys,

I'm a noob here and had a few questions for you all. This is my second 4x4 (had a Nissan 720 Kingcab 10 years ago) and for the last 5 years, I have been driving an Audi A4 and A6 Quattro as well as a VW Passat. The Montero is both a work car (I rehab houses and need to pull a 1500lb trailer) as well as a family vehicle. I like sitting tall again, but have to get used to "scraping the mirrors" again if I take a corner a little fast, which doesn't happen in the Passat.

I got a good deal on a 96 Montero (non-Sport, 24 valve engine) and am getting ready to go over it with a fine tooth comb. The car is good, aside from a warped rotor, which is a minor fix. I do all my own repairs and upkeep, and looked the Montero over pretty well when I got it. It was a California car until 1999, then came to Colorado.

It has 133k miles, and the T-belt was done at 96,100 miles. The previous owner said the transmission was flushed when they got it, about 96k miles, but he never did the diffs or x-fer case.

Last night, I changed the rear diff fluid, which it really needed! I am going to flush the transmission (auto) and change the oils in the front diff and x-fer case as well. I am going to do the plugs and air filter/ pvc valves also.

Looking at it, the plugs are not going to be easy, they are buried. Luckily, they only need to be done every 60k miles, according to the manual.

The book also says to use Dexron in the transmission and PS. Can I use a high mileage Valvoline formulation? Should I go ahead and replace the filter while I am in there, or will it just re-glog in a hurry with new oil?

Is semi-synthetic 90 weight OK in the diffs and transfer case? The rear diff is non-locking.

I am already using a synthetic blend engine oil, which is much cheaper then the full synthetic the turbo cars require. I don't think the Montero is as hard on oil as the VAG cars are, and it will be 95% on-road driving.

Also, are there any tricks or quirks I should know of?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 11-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Default RE: New owner here

I highly recommend that you use the Mitsubishi Transmission Fluid which is the Diamond ATF SP3 fluid.The factory fluid helps the vehicle to shift much easier than the Dexron3.
Burns less cooler as well.