Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New timing belt at 60k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Default New timing belt at 60k miles?

My 03 montero manual says to replace timing belt at 60k miles. However, if you are CA, MA, VA this is not required. Must be state law or something. Does anyone know why certain states dont require it? Also, has anyone done this job on the latest Montero (01-06) and how hard was it?

Old 09-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Default RE: New timing belt at 60k miles?

Im told that the certain state exclusions are just a legal / emissions thing- all Monties have the same parts.

Im also told that if I do the labor of getting down to the timing belt that I should consider replacing the water pump as well. Does this sound like sound advice? You can get OEM water pumps for ~$100

TJ

Old 09-16-2006, 02:27 AM

Wait a minute... you post a question then answer it?

Seriously, to answer your question, I understand it was a state regulation relating to emissions more than technical requirements. As you've been told, the parts are the same.

As for changing the water pump, definitely do it as well. Also consider checking the tensioner pully and any bearings in the various components there.

HTH!

Old 09-16-2006, 03:10 PM

although recommended at 60k under extreem conditions, the timing belt can easily make it to 100K on mitsus V-6 engines. Ive actually seen 180k on the orignal belt, but I WOULD NOT recommend trying that, as they are interference engines.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:56 PM

Off roader - good to talk to you. I see that youve "jumped ship" from the other forum. It seems that this forum gets more traffic. Has that been your experience.

As for asnwering my own questions. It was slow at work so I had time to research this between posts. Give me a break!

Manybrews - thanks for the advice on this as well. In my previous cars, I never changed the belts prior to 100k miles. I never had a problem - maybe I was lucky?! Just like the Diamond SPIII, I will sheepishly change the belt and use OEM fluids for my 60k service cause its the "right thing to do". I wondered if the engine is interference. If one was to break at 90k miles, Ill be wishing I had changed it!

Especially since Monties are not available in the US anymore, I want this truck for the long haul so a penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

OK enough of the cliches - back to business. Ill be ordering a water pump as well.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: tj90

Off roader - good to talk to you. I see that youve "jumped ship" from the other forum. It seems that this forum gets more traffic. Has that been your experience.

As for asnwering my own questions. It was slow at work so I had time to research this between posts. Give me a break!
Naw, I didn't jump ship. I'm currently on several mitsu 4x4 forums including moderating at 4x4wire dot com. As for answering your own questions, I was just joking hence the smiley emoticon.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:48 PM

I will give you one more opinion. I think the timing belt interval should be based on miles, age, climate, and engine design. If I had a DOHC mitsu engine I would not go over 60k miles. I have heard of a few belt failures and they all have been on the DOHC engines. However, most V6's are SOHC. I went 5 years and 90k miles on my timing belt and it looked like new when I changed it. I changed the water pump at that time too. I now have 166k on my monty and will change the belt next year at about 175-180k miles.

If I were to do a 60k belt schedule I would do the belt only at 60k then I would change everything at 120k. Including, water pump, tensioner, tensioner pulleys, etc.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

I will give you one more opinion. I think the timing belt interval should be based on miles, age, climate, and engine design. If I had a DOHC mitsu engine I would not go over 60k miles. I have heard of a few belt failures and they all have been on the DOHC engines. However, most V6's are SOHC. I went 5 years and 90k miles on my timing belt and it looked like new when I changed it. I changed the water pump at that time too. I now have 166k on my monty and will change the belt next year at about 175-180k miles.

If I were to do a 60k belt schedule I would do the belt only at 60k then I would change everything at 120k. Including, water pump, tensioner, tensioner pulleys, etc.
Glad you brought this up. So you've heard of some DOHC belt failures? I was considering a 95SR this past weekend but the dealership couldn't confirm when the timing belt was done and it was at 120K. They were selling it for 5900 and I didn't feel comfortable buying it at that price if I was going to have to do the timing belt and associated parts & them doing it for that price.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:40 PM

The one I know of personally was a good friend who had a 95 SR and moved to Virginia. One cold morning he went to start it up and the belt broke at start up. Somehow there was no permanent damage, but the belt did break. It makes sense to me that the force required to turn two cams when it is cold out, would be the most likely time for a belt to fail. There was also another guy on 4x4wire who recently purchased an SR, then the belt broke.

Of course, this is the internet, and opinions are only worth what you pay for them. However, it just makes sense to me that the DOHC belts would be more prone to failure.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:09 PM

I had about 76,000 on my Sport when I had the belt, water pump, tensioners, hoses, and belts replaced. We were about to go on a trip and I knew it was called for at 60,000 and I didn't want to increase my chances of a broke timing belt ruining our trip. I had also called a dealer prior to find out if the engine was an interference type engine. When I found out it was, that only cemented my decision. I had the work performed by a dealer in Murfreesboro, TN and was extremely happy with the service and time they took with me and my questions. Not like the brake service I received from the dealer in Nashville, TN at 29,000 miles.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9663/17E3A7DC4F444CFC9238A948212C6DE0.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: New timing belt at 60k miles?