Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Old Man Emu Lift Kit For Montero Sports/Challengers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Default Old Man Emu Lift Kit For Montero Sports/Challengers.

Anyone have one of these? What does it consist of and how does it change the Monty? I need to know specifics about installation and the torsion bars specifically.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Default RE: Old Man Emu Lift Kit For Montero Sports/Challengers.

Made all the difference in the world for my Full Size Montero.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/712331

Old 04-16-2006, 07:13 PM

nice ride^

Old 04-17-2006, 01:50 AM

I just installed one in 2000 Montero Sport. Better than factory ride. The torsion bars are fine, just had to adjust them to match the lift. I had the installation done by 4 Wheel Parts Wholesale as I did not have all the tools to to do it my self. There were a lot of spacers and bolts needed for the install, plus you will need a four wheel alignment. I just took up to South Lake Tahoe, CA to go snowboarding and it road great the throught the ice and snow, since we just got an out of season snow storm rolling through.

JC

Old 04-18-2006, 03:26 AM

See, I don't understand the torsion bar thing. I just turned mine and lifted the nose two inches. All it did was level the truck. So if all you do to lift it is put taller springs in the rear and turn the torsion bars in the front, I don't see the point to one. It's a very confusing situation.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: michaeljr5

See, I don't understand the torsion bar thing. I just turned mine and lifted the nose two inches. All it did was level the truck. So if all you do to lift it is put taller springs in the rear and turn the torsion bars in the front, I don't see the point to one. It's a very confusing situation.
Are you saying you were able to lift the front 2" and it wasn't enough to match the rear?

Do you take your truck off road? When you do, you'll find that you will need to put gear in the back which will load the rear springs. This is why the front is currently shorter than the rear. The rear will settle. In most cases, those that wheel their rigs regularly will need stronger rear springs to compensate for their off road gear.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:52 PM

Stronger shocks make up for rear sag. I have not had any problem with it yet and I care about 200 lbs of gear offroad. Hence my dilema. What is the point of the lift kit, if it doesn't raise the front any more than what can be done by turning the torsion bars? My truck is sitting level right now because I turned the torsion bars. I keep my gear and tools in it most all the time. So, if I read all this right, there is no point to wasting money on the lift, since I already "lifted" the truck? Am I right or worng?

Old 04-18-2006, 09:12 PM

Stronger shocks make up for rear sag. I have not had any problem with it yet and I care about 200 lbs of gear offroad. Hence my dilema. What is the point of the lift kit, if it doesn't raise the front any more than what can be done by turning the torsion bars? My truck is sitting level right now because I turned the torsion bars. I keep my gear and tools in it most all the time. So, if I read all this right, there is no point to wasting money on the lift, since I already "lifted" the truck? Am I right or worng?
Michael,

What year Sport do you have? IIRC the later models have coil spring suspensions while the older ones only have leaf springs but I might be wrong on that.

Also shocks only affect the suspension travel dampening after you hit a bump. They won't raise your vehicle nor will they allow you to carry a heavier load than what you can normally carry. From everyone I've wheel with spoken with (both online and in person) KYB and Edelbrock shocks are the way to go unless you have the original adjustable shocks (made by KYB btw).

If you want to improve the rear suspension sag, you can possibly use an Air Bag suspension (airlift maybe?) or ad an add-a-leaf, or have your springs re-arched. If you have coils springs then perhaps you can use Gen II montero springs (I know they work with Gen I's).

As for the front suspension lift, this is a common problem for all IFS vehicles (almost all current vehicles). The ARB springs may be stiffer and stronger than your stock ones so that may provide you with a stiffer front end that won't bottom out as easily. Of course your comfort will be affected.

There is a IFS suspension lift kit available from overseas and I know someone personally who's installed one on their Sport (1995?). Cost them a pretty penny to get though and I would only recommend it if you're serious about taking it off road. In current suspension form and with a few mods like a Locker, Rocker Panel Protection & 33's you can run most 4+ trails like the the Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy, etc.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:17 PM

Man, I feel bad, I wasn't trying to argue. What I was trying to say is, with the coils in the rear of my 01 I haven't had any sag on the factory springs, even with all my gear in it. If there is some it is not noticable. I still have all factory suspension and I'm wheeling the $hit out of it. There are no front springs and the torsion bars seem to be fine. The ride has not changed and everything seems to be ok. So if all the OME lift does is the rear, can I just put a 1 or 2 inch spacer in there and call it a day? I can get longer shocks for a whole lot less than what the OME kit costs.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:17 AM

Man, I feel bad, I wasn't trying to argue.
oops... was that directed at me? Sorry if you thought I miss-read your comment and thought you were arguing. I didn't take your reply that way and sorry if my response made you think that.

What I was trying to say is, with the coils in the rear of my 01 I haven't had any sag on the factory springs, even with all my gear in it. If there is some it is not noticable. I still have all factory suspension and I'm wheeling the $hit out of it.
Cool to hear that you don't have any sag at this point. Don't be surprised if they eventually sag though.

There are no front springs and the torsion bars seem to be fine. The ride has not changed and everything seems to be ok.
As for the front spring, the torsion bar is the front "spring". It's just straight rather than coiled <GRIN>but I suspect you meant to say you didn't have a coil or leaf spring up front.

So if all the OME lift does is the rear, can I just put a 1 or 2 inch spacer in there and call it a day? I can get longer shocks for a whole lot less than what the OME kit costs.
As for the OME lift, IF (I'm not sure of this) the front torsion bars are bigger and stiffer, then it will increase the spring rate and allow your springs to last longer (less fatigue) over time. The ride will be a rougher one though.

As for shocks, OME's are decent but as I've already noted so are KYB, Edelbrock, Tokico and many other shock brands with similar construction.

Based on what others have told me, I would stay away from....
-cheap passenger vehicle shocks like monroes, etc.
-Rancho RS5000's (don't last long)

Speaking of Rancho, i've heard contradictory claims on their RS9000 with adjuster kit. Some say they like it, others say it's not properly valved for the Montero.

Also if you raise your rear using longer springs or spring spacers, make sure the shock you use can accomodate the additional travel.

Torquing the torsion bars does not affect suspension travel geometry so you can continue to use the shocks made to replace the OE shock units.

Quick Reply: Old Man Emu Lift Kit For Montero Sports/Challengers.