Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Painting 1994 Montero Frame....Pictures, Questions, Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 05:52 PM

I see what you mean about the splash guard for "over the frame". I've never seen that. I wonder if it is a some sort of artifact of manufacturing process, i.e. a body reinforcement vs a mounting spot for a mud guard? I can't imagine why you'd need a mud guard there? Does the bottom of the wheel well mud guard suppose to clip in there?

Old 09-17-2019, 07:15 PM

Hunter........Here are another couple pics. (I got the first coat of black done today).

In this pic, you can see to the left where the real "mud guard" mounts behind the tire. I removed a bracket that bolts into those 2 holes in the blue "bump out". The rubber/plastic mud guard then screws into the bracket and into the rim of the wheel well. Those other holes in the blue metal on the right would be perfect for mounting some sort of rubber flap that keeps water/mud/crap from going over the frame and depositing on the gas tank. I bet Mitsubishi had designed these 10 pre-drilled holes (4 in back portion, 6 in front area) for that purpose, and then the idea was abandoned for some reason. So, I will design and rig up something and post pics when done.

Pumpkin: I thought about painting it orange, as most pumpkins are orange......but am too cheap to go buy orange paint. Here is the primed pumpkin: Tomorrow she be black.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:33 PM

You might be right - it could have been a design provision to have some special mud guard (OEM or aftermarket), but due to cost or some other reason it was not implemented. It also could be that somewhere in Japan they have Moneros with those "extra" mud guards, but it was not an option to export models.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:47 AM

Hunter......I think you hit on the answer.....that inner mud flappers were only installed for some markets, maybe for Japan, or for Monteros going to the Outback of Austrailia, or way up the Amazon, or for Mt. Everest exports. I think there is some truth to that idea.......and they know that American manufacturers love to see their models rust, so they were trying to "fit in" with what Americans are used to.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1960StudebakerHawk
Hunter......I think you hit on the answer.....that inner mud flappers were only installed for some markets, maybe for Japan, or for Monteros going to the Outback of Austrailia, or way up the Amazon, or for Mt. Everest exports. I think there is some truth to that idea.......and they know that American manufacturers love to see their models rust, so they were trying to "fit in" with what Americans are used to.
I would love to see one of these old Monteros form South America or Africa to see if we are right about this.

Hey Fellas, ANYONE here from another Continent? Please confirm our hypothesis. Some pictures would be nice too.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:51 AM

StudebakerHawk, here as promised a photo of my Monty's belly... 19 years, 248k miles...

Old 09-18-2019, 09:53 AM

BTW, I just noticed something on your last photo - Is that an air-locker on your pumpkin? So jealous

Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 PM

I second that motion.......any Montero/Pajero owners from S. America, Africa, AussieLand, Asia, Europe, North Pole (Santa might go out and get a pic or two), South Pole (Hitler down in Lake Vostik might know), or whereever.......any of you guys have inner mud flappers on the rear inner fenders?

Hunter.....actually, a real rust-free looking underbelly......a simple hosing down, and yours would probably look like new, still with black paint where it should be. Yep, I have the air locker on this Montero.....another reason to be up under the rig cleaning the air lines to the diff. locker, seeing if any need replacing yet.

You ever watch the Youtube channel "4 Wheel Drive Action"......those mates down in Australia have done some really great videos of them doing some real intense 4-wheeling and fine camping/eating.......check Shawn and Graham out sometime if you never have seen their videos.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:35 PM

Hunter......are those rear CV joints/boots all original? 250,000 miles, and boots still look good. Do they reccomend removing the boot clips and packing some fresh CV grease on the joints?

I see a very minor oil leak in your front diff. seal, but not bad enough to worry about......seems the light coat of dirt is absorbing it just fine (and keeping the rust away.....ha ha).

Old 09-18-2019, 09:28 PM

Yep, original CV joints and boots. I did not see recommendation to repack "good" CV joints on my model (Gen 3). It must be a procedure for Gen1 and 2. It does say to clean and repack CV joint if boot is broken. I had one CV boot tear on front, so I replaced that one and repacked the CV joint at that time. The rest are originals. I try to approach things with - if it ain't broke - don't fix it mentality. I have too many projects even with that approach
I just noticed that slight oil leak today as I was taking the photo. The front seal on the rear diff must be giving up. Doesn't look like its loosing much oil, but something to keep an eye on.
As far as rust - there is truly none to speak of. I can remove just about any fastener without much trouble.

Quick Reply: Painting 1994 Montero Frame....Pictures, Questions, Suggestions