Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Pajero/Montero diagnostics tool (Mutt-2)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 02:20 AM
Default Pajero/Montero diagnostics tool (Mutt-2)

Hello,

I'm as well new to this forum as to Mitsubishi in general.
I bought myself a second hand Mitsubishi Pajero (EU version of Montero) of 2000.
The only thing is, it doesn't start.
According to the previous owner, the car just died while driving.
The local car mechanic thinks it the fuel pump, but isn't sure.

Before changing the pump I'd like to connect it to a diagnostics tool.
Problem is, Mitsubishi uses the MUT-2 protocol on cars before 2004 or before the 4th generation. (instead of the OBD-2 protocol)
Does anyone know where I can get a MUT-2 diagnostics device? Cause i can't find it online, only OBD-2 devices.

Many thanks in advance!

Old 02-11-2021, 09:40 AM

MUT-2 is extremely expensive. I've seen them listed on Ebay for over $2000. You may want to try a "regular" cheap OBD-II scanner. Keep in mind if battery was disconnected - any stored data is erased.
When you say it doesn't start, does it turn over? Does starter engage properly? If so, check ignition, fuel and compression. If any of these ate not present, the engine will not run/start.
To be honest, in your case I would start by checking timing belt and compression. Since engine stopped while driving, there is a fair chance that it might be timing belt related.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:31 PM

To be honest, I didn't try to start the engine. Better said, I couldn't try to start the engine.
The car is still at the location of the previous owner at the moment.
I went looking to the car at the local mechanic, but since it was closed the owner couldn't reach the keys.

The day after I called the mechanic and he did the explanation of his findings.

I know I take a big risk by buying this car with only this amount of information, but I see it as a project for myself to make the car running again.

Once I could test if the car starts, I'll let you know.