Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Default Performance

I have a 2002 Montero Limited 4x4. I am looking for some performance upgrades for the engine. Maybe you could point me in the direction of some reliable parts suppliers, and help out with the selection of parts. Or maybe there is another auto that uses the same engine that I could cross reference some parts. I appreciate your help!

Old 03-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Default RE: Performance

well you can try with the intake, since its a 4x4 and not a racecar. you can find K&N cold air intakes that will give you more performance and more fuel milage too.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:45 AM

Where would I be able to find the cold air intake? how much do they run, approx.? Does an air intake void an extended warranty? Thanks for the help!!!

Old 03-18-2005, 11:59 AM

I got you covered on raising that Monty up up up in the air....2 conatcts for you ...

Butler Tire
770-941-7422
www.butlertire.com
Ask for John Gilham

Gene C Systems
770-968-4273
770-914-2220
www.genecfx.com

Old 04-18-2005, 12:22 AM

http://www.injen.com they carry intakes for your montero ( short ram / race div. )

Old 04-28-2005, 06:28 PM

HKS has an exhaust system for our model (as I have the same vehicle) for about $530 plus shipping. Go to www.eautoworks.com. It is a Cat-Back Setup.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:43 PM
pc

I'd check with your extended warranty company first, they could use your mod as a reason to void coverage. You'll find these high flow air intakes will also suck more dirt in and if they're charged with oil will suck oil in as well. I've yet to see a dyno test before and after these systems are installed by themselves to see if and what rpm range more power is achieved. I find the more power and better gas mileage a doubtful combination, usually more power means more gas and air. You may be disapointed in just the air intake without headers, I learned a long time ago you have to treat the engine as a system, you can't suck more in if you can't push more out at the same time. You'll also find these intakes noisier, but that may be something you want.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:10 PM

I have to agree with PC on the intake issue. As far as improving mileage AND power, you have this possibility on older vehicles because either there is no ECU or it is not as sensitive as the newer vehicles. A newer vehicle for instance, is going to compensate for the added airflow by adding fuel and adjusting ignition curves. On the other hand, My 2002 montero saw 20 miles per tank improvement, while there was no obvious improvement in the power. I will say this, I have run K&N filters for years and there was dirt in the intake plenum EVERY single time without fail. I always recharged them, but that is the nature of the beast, comprimise. If you want more flow, you have to sacrifice filtration. If you simply must have a better intake, I reccomend a Rally Style Filter. Look at the examples that HKS and Weapon R have to offer. Notice that they are foam elements. They flow extremely well and protect your engine better than any other style filter. Hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2005, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: pc

I'd check with your extended warranty company first, they could use your mod as a reason to void coverage. You'll find these high flow air intakes will also suck more dirt in and if they're charged with oil will suck oil in as well. I've yet to see a dyno test before and after these systems are installed by themselves to see if and what rpm range more power is achieved. I find the more power and better gas mileage a doubtful combination, usually more power means more gas and air. You may be disapointed in just the air intake without headers, I learned a long time ago you have to treat the engine as a system, you can't suck more in if you can't push more out at the same time. You'll also find these intakes noisier, but that may be something you want.
well.....u' have to stick w/ your factory specs. if you want to go fast, then u' ll have to modify. and again, more power means you have to push more fuel. cant just install intake without installin a muff. system. ( exhaust system) and yep' you dont have to modify unless you wanna go fast. and the only suggestion that i have.....you can mod's your ignition systems. i.e. spark plug wires. a 8.5 wires are available for your s.u.v. this will add up lil' bit of power w/ out sacrificing fuel eff. and that wont void your warranty's.

Old 05-14-2005, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: FireDoc

I have to agree with PC on the intake issue. As far as improving mileage AND power, you have this possibility on older vehicles because either there is no ECU or it is not as sensitive as the newer vehicles. A newer vehicle for instance, is going to compensate for the added airflow by adding fuel and adjusting ignition curves. On the other hand, My 2002 montero saw 20 miles per tank improvement, while there was no obvious improvement in the power. I will say this, I have run K&N filters for years and there was dirt in the intake plenum EVERY single time without fail. I always recharged them, but that is the nature of the beast, comprimise. If you want more flow, you have to sacrifice filtration. If you simply must have a better intake, I reccomend a Rally Style Filter. Look at the examples that HKS and Weapon R have to offer. Notice that they are foam elements. They flow extremely well and protect your engine better than any other style filter. Hope this helps.
i, sport a weapon r' filter / intake system, its all good. its just i dont like the plastic frame. now hks is much better, my eclipse is runnin w/ hks intake.performance is good to go, and its a room saver too.

Quick Reply: Performance