Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Please help me understand how AWD in Montero Sport operates (and is it worth buying)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:54 AM
Default Please help me understand how AWD in Montero Sport operates (and is it worth buying)

Hello everyone, noob question here

I'm searching for my first 4x4 car and I've stumbled upon this model (in Polish, but pictures and technical data will give you clues):

Og?oszenie: Mitsubishi Montero Pajero / Montero Sport 3,5 V6 LPG - 17 800 PLN

It's said that it was bought from USA, and there are some very exotic (as for my country) features in it. First is the automatic transmission (never drove it, but I've heard they are useful offroad), but my main concern is the 4WD system.

I have decent understanding of the Ease Select and Super Select systems, because they are abundant in European Mitsubishi models, but this one puzzles me. There is a strange symbol on the trunk door
that is a blend of AWD/4WD and the mode selector has three positions: AWD, 4H and 4L. How does it work exactly? Like SS but without the 2H mode, or more like outlander with different amount of torque directed towards front and rear axle between AWD and 4H modes? Is AWD mode realized through viscotic transmission and 4H is central differential lock?

Also what about the reliability of this system? I've found several threads on this forum where owners reported stuck 4WD modes.

Sorry if this question seems totally basic to you, but this something very new for me as a European

Old 01-30-2016, 10:10 PM

Hi Dawid, welcome to the forum. First a question for you - is that a propane tank in the trunk of the Montero? I've seen some cars converted to run on propane in Eastern Europe, but never a Montero.
Now to answer your questions. Most of the 4wd vehicles come in two flavors - 4x4 and AWD. The 4x4 vehicles have two differentials (one in each axle) and both driveshafts going to the axles spin with the same speed. This is useful for tough off road driving where the wheels have ability to slip. This system is VERY bad for driving on asphalt, because it puts too much stress on the drivetrain.
The AWD system has an additional third differential installed between the to axles (located inside the transfer case). This allows the two driveshafts (and front and rear axles) to spin with slightly different speeds if needed. Result is you can drive in AWD mode on a completely dry pavement (asphalt) without any extra stress on the drive train. This is much more gentle way to provide power to all 4 wheels and have improved traction. Subaru's, Audi and other cars use this type of AWD system. While it is good for on road, this system may not work as well if you are buried in a mud hole or trying to climb some uneven trail. This is because if one wheel has no traction - that wheel will be the one that will spin (in 4x4, one other wheel on the second axle will be forced to rotate in this situation).
The beauty of Mitsubishi design, is that it combines both of these systems. It comes with three differentials and you can use AWD on dry roads. Then you can switch into 4WD. This locks center differential and the drive train operates just like the true 4x4.
This design works well. Yes there are some occasional issues - flashing lights, sensor not reading correctly, but overall it is proven and works exceptionally well. I have a Montero (not Sport) and have almost 300,000 km on it. Had to replace a bad sensor on front axle, but that is all as far as 4wd system goes. Believe me, I've put my Montero through everything
Good luck on your decision. I hope this explanation helps.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:36 AM

Thanks, that explains a lot! Yes, it's a propane tank, you'll find them very often in cars here, especially with large engines (but I've even seen them even in 1.0 liter motors in compact urban cars). Everything to keep the costs low, if it can be done - it will be done

Old 02-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Mit
Default Dope info

Thanks for posting that info HunterD. Makes me feel comfortable with my 02 Sport. Cheers

Old 02-05-2016, 05:45 PM

[QUOTE=Dawid Zyskowski;314234]Hello everyone, noob question here

I'm searching for my first 4x4 car and I've stumbled upon this model (in Polish, but pictures and technical data will give you clues):

Og?oszenie: Mitsubishi Montero Pajero / Montero Sport 3,5 V6 LPG - 17 800 PLN

It's said that it was bought from USA, and there are some very exotic (as for my country) features in it. First is the automatic transmission (never drove it, but I've heard they are useful offroad), but my main concern is the 4WD system.

I
Dave,My experience with reliability has been great. My 01 montero sport is AWD.Since new ,my wife has put on 230,000 miles 99% or more Hwy. I engage the transfer case of the 4x4 in H & L a few times, for 1 mile in each range
every 2-5 months more or less, and Ive never had any issues with it. Its worked for me unless Im just lucky,but then Ive never changed my shocks or spark plugs either (230,000 miles)and I still get tops 22 mpg hwy 60 to 70 mph just as I did when i got it new. It rides fine to me. Who knows if my plugs have fused themselves into the head,but Ill deal with that when I have too .I dont know how everyone elses experience has been,but I have only changed the timing belt and nothing else of any significance has broken or been replaced since new.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 02-05-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by PalmSprings
Its worked for me unless Im just lucky,but then Ive never changed my shocks or spark plugs either (230,000 miles)
Seriously? Wow. I thought changing plugs at 80k miles beats my friend doing it on his Jeep every 3k, but you are setting a new milestone here
I do hope you had your timing belt changed at least once in all this time.
I don't think you are lucky. That is kind of reliability I've experienced with my Monty. It has been nothing but great.