Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Power Brake Booster Mitzubishi Montero needs servicing

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Default Power Brake Booster Mitzubishi Montero needs servicing

Hello

Recently my brakes started making noise when braking. This noise comes from the Power Brake Booster. My dealership has come with this part number MN116391.

I have hit this number in google but all replies are in russian or japanese. My dealer is charging me roughly 1,000.00 US in parts, and I feel this cost is expensive.

Has anyone have had to service and / or replace this booster? It seems to me that this p/n is for the whole booster. Is it possible to get parts and rebuild it istead?.

http://www.akadia.ru/_pages/mitsubis...x8YTI9PTAyMTAx

If I search MN116391 (p/n given by dealer) I get the above response, and it looks like the whole assembly. The vibration happens whenever I apply brakes, no matter how light I may brake. The noise and vibration comes from an accumulator like assembly, which is indicated as p/n 54243 54282B

Any help regarding this mater will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:22 PM

The part number comes up as "Hydraulic Booster Assembly" in the Mitsubishi parts catalogue. Did you check to find a used replacement?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 PM

you probably just need the accumulator replaced. Theres a recall on it in the USA.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
you probably just need the accumulator replaced. Theres a recall on it in the USA.
Hi Manybrews, you are very knowledgeable about the Montero HBB system, may be you can give me some advise, last Saturday, my 01 Montero's HBB braking system was down while I was driving crossing a major intersection, fortunatedly I didn't get in a crash, a sharp none stop beeping sound coming out inside the cabin, ABS lights on the dash board, not able to brake at all, break pedal was hard like a rock, I needed to pull the hand brake to stop. (Mitsubishi sent me a letter 2 months ago regarding the HBB's accumulator will be warrant for life, I had one with "pink dot" replaced during the recall 2001). So I had it towed to the Mitsubishi dealer, the tech ran a diagnosis and confirmed the Hydraulic unit and ECU for ABS board need to be replace, with labor will cost about $3600.00, I was trouble by what he found, for days my Montero still sitting in the dealer's lot. I was wondering if the diaphragm inside the accumulator cracked or internal defected after being using for 8 years causing nitrogen gas leaked to the braking system, that was why the brake pedal had such a ressistance on the day the brake failure... What do you think Manybrews ?? Any suggestion or advise will be deeply appreciated.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:56 PM

I want to thank everyone who posted answers to my problem. Indeed I found out the P/N for the accumulator, ordered the part and I just replaced it yesterday.
Everything in fine now, and now I can drive my Montero after two weeks of having it grounded.

Regards from sunny Mexico

Joel

Old 09-26-2009, 01:02 AM

Good thing for you that it was just the accumulator.. My car really had brake booster problems and the servicing was expensive.. tsk

Last edited by michaelross; 09-29-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:43 PM

I am having the same noise problem as johvig, its been doing it for a few weeks now. I stopped driving it last week, now I am wondering where is the best place to order the part other than the dealer because they are goin to cost alot?

Also, I can't get my sunroof to close all the way, it opens just fine but I can't close it completely, luckly its not leaking, it has been like this for an year, any suggestions?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Default Brake Accumulator booster problem Montero XLS 2002 4WD

Originally Posted by johvig
Hello

Recently my brakes started making noise when braking. This noise comes from the Power Brake Booster. My dealership has come with this part number MN116391.

I have hit this number in google but all replies are in russian or japanese. My dealer is charging me roughly 1,000.00 US in parts, and I feel this cost is expensive.

Has anyone have had to service and / or replace this booster? It seems to me that this p/n is for the whole booster. Is it possible to get parts and rebuild it istead?.

http://www.akadia.ru/_pages/mitsubis...x8YTI9PTAyMTAx

If I search MN116391 (p/n given by dealer) I get the above response, and it looks like the whole assembly. The vibration happens whenever I apply brakes, no matter how light I may brake. The noise and vibration comes from an accumulator like assembly, which is indicated as p/n 54243 54282B

Any help regarding this mater will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I had the exact same problem, I have a 2002 Montero XLS 4WD. I called Mitsubishi USA 1-800-222-0037 and the customer service rep told me that recall does not apply but the extended warranty under 150000 miles or 10 years apply (BTW, their customer service department really cares). The rep told me to call the nearest Mitsubishi Dealer and mention the situation and so i did. Went to the dealer and they fixed it NO charge! Fast and very good service as well! Here is the copy of my receipt. Hopefully this will help owners that having the same problem. Goodluck!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:05 PM

That is great, thanks for sharing such great information and posting the invoice to encouage the others. This board is great.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:46 PM

hello, i just started having this problem but when i called mitsubishi they said the car was fixed in 2002 and will not honor anything and if i want it fixed i have to pay myself.
my question is how hard is this part to change, if i get one on ebay is it easy to do yourself.

is there any step by step guides on doing this ?

thanks

Quick Reply: Power Brake Booster Mitzubishi Montero needs servicing