Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

PRNDL dash lights and P0705

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Exclamation PRNDL dash lights and P0705

So i have a 2004 mitsubishi montero limited and i got a check engine light and when i got it scanned one of the codes was P0705 - transmission range sensor circuit malfunction. Also the PRNDL lights on my dash dont light up. All the other lights on it do except those. Are these related at all and if so/not how could i fix these problems? Thanks so much

Old 01-21-2016, 03:38 PM

Yes, most definitely these symptoms are related. The lights on the dashboard are controlled by computer and if it has a malfunction with transmission range - it doesn't know which lights to turn on. Hard to tell what could be causing it. Here are some ideas:

For starters - check your vehicle operators manual and see if all fuses related to transmission and PCM are OK.

Step 2. - Check the transmission range selector switch. It is located on the transmission itself. The wire connector going to it may have simply fell out. There is a procedure for checking proper continuity on that switch, but in order to do that you will need to find a manual and read up on it.

If those items check out, the issue may lay in the wiring between transmission and the PCM.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:31 PM

Thanks! Ill look into that asap. Also im not sure if it makes a difference but i noticed when i drove the car that all the PRNDL lights lit up except the D, even the 1-5 for the sport manual option lit up. Could this be just a burn bulb or is this still caused from the sensor? Thanks

Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 AM

If it is just a single light not working, it can be just a bulb. It is possible that the malfunction that caused the P0705 code is intermittent. That would at times cause all lights to go out and at other times they will work (if bulbs are OK). Unfortunately, intermittent problems are more difficult to diagnose. To help with that - pay attention and see if you notice a certain patterns when things happen (weather, road condition, going around corners, accelerating, etc.).