Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Problem with '00 MS-LS internal lighting

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Default Problem with '00 MS-LS internal lighting

Hello, this is my first post obviously, and I'm here because I have a strange problem with my truck that I was wondering if there's a common fix for:

The first thing that I noticed going wrong was that my interior dash lights would dim when I hit the brakes. I run my headlights most of the time, so I wasn't sure why the dimming was taking place. I turned off my headlights and tested the brakes and saw that the dash lights came on when the brake was depressed regardless of whether or not I had the headlights on.

A few days later:

I was told that I had a couple bulbs out and didn't know it at first as no indicator lights told me so.

(The middle upper brake light and the right front parking light)

I replaced both bulbs, expecting that my interior lighting issue was due to some sort of feedback from one of the blown bulbs.

Well now, after both bulbs have been replaced and all other bulbs have been tested and appear to be working something even more strange has happened: Now the interior dash lights do not work at all. Unless I have the brake depressed. This includes when the headlights are both on and off. It is different from before i changed the bulbs in that the dash lights used to work still, but would change brightness with the brake depressed. Now they do not light at all unless the brake is pressed.

This makes it very dangerous to drive at night, as I cannot see my dash panel at all unless I'm braking.

Is this a fuse problem? Faulty wiring? Another bulb being blown but not being obvious (I checked all remaining bulbs and they appeared to be working)? Has anyone had something like this happen? Any help on a self-fix?? Thanks!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Default RE: Problem with '00 MS-LS internal lighting

Have you installed anything that wasn't p/o the original vehicle setup recently (past 2 years)?

I had a similar problem (headlights would have hi-beams on instead of low beams and vice versa) in my Montero and it turned out to be caused by an air compressor I installed in the engine bay a couple of years earlier had rubbed through a wiring harness that controlled the lights.

HTH.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Thank you for the response in both forums, are these actually related sites? I thought I was hitting two totally different boards by going to www.mitsubishiforum.com and www.mitsubishi-forums.com

Old 02-22-2007, 03:43 PM

They are different sites. I just frequent both of them.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:48 PM

Well thank you for taking the time to offer up a suggestion.

I don't know a ton about the ins-and-outs of cars/trucks, so I don't even know what might cause a dash problem like this. I'm not even sure if there is a fuse specifically for the dash? I'm just not sure what to try after replacing the bulbs seemed to make it worse.

I'd really like to try and fix it myself since I'm in the process of moving and money is tight. Mechanics are expensive!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: MontSport2000LS

Well thank you for taking the time to offer up a suggestion.

I don't know a ton about the ins-and-outs of cars/trucks, so I don't even know what might cause a dash problem like this. I'm not even sure if there is a fuse specifically for the dash? I'm just not sure what to try after replacing the bulbs seemed to make it worse.

I'd really like to try and fix it myself since I'm in the process of moving and money is tight. Mechanics are expensive!
First thing I'd do is find the factory wiring diagrams for it. Aftermarket manuals like Chiltons, Haynes, Mitchell, etc are all vastly inferior to the factory manual so I'd look at investing in a manual to start your troubleshooting however if you can't read wiring diagrams that won't help either.

I'd visually check as much of the wiring as possible. Was anything exposed to the elements that wasn't supposed to be? Was anything ever added to the factory setup like an aftermarket alarm system, gps, radio, etc. that was installed by someone other than the dealer?

In the end, finding a decent mechanic will certainly be your best bet for the long term. One that know's what they're doing but charges 2x someone who doesn't know what they're doing are still more cost effective to go to. Also, FWIW, mitsu dealer mechanic's are not the know-it all's that many think they are. Be sure if you take it to a dealership (or any mechanic really) that they have a good reputation locally.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: off roader
First thing I'd do is find the factory wiring diagrams for it. Aftermarket manuals like Chiltons, Haynes, Mitchell, etc are all vastly inferior to the factory manual so I'd look at investing in a manual to start your troubleshooting however if you can't read wiring diagrams that won't help either.
I'm not sure what I'd make of a wiring diagram. Probably nothing, lol. I could still look for the diagrams and see if anything jumps out at me.

I'd visually check as much of the wiring as possible. Was anything exposed to the elements that wasn't supposed to be? Was anything ever added to the factory setup like an alarm system, aftermarket radio, etc. that was installed by someone other than the dealer?
I don't think anything would have been exposed to the elements unless I have a seal leak somewhere that I'm not aware of.. And nothing at all has been added to my truck by anyone since I've owned it. I bought it used almost two years ago, and this problem only cropped up within the last month or so (at least that's when I became aware of it). The radio and alarm system are both stock though, I know that much.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:35 PM

In the end, finding a decent mechanic will certainly be your best bet for the long term. One that know's what they're doing but charges 2x someone who doesn't know what they're doing are still more cost effective to go to. Also, FWIW, mitsu dealer mechanic's are not the know-it all's that many think they are. Be sure if you take it to a dealership (or any mechanic really) that they have a good reputation locally.
Caught your edit after I'd already replied to the other part.

I am friends with several people who are friends with mechanics, so I might be able to get some help that way, if not a reduction on any work done. When I get the extra money I suppose I'll just have to pony up. It's just unfortunate timing considering the fact that I'm moving and paying all the costs associated with that right now. D'oh!

Thank you for your help and advice!

Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: MontSport2000LS

I'm not sure what I'd make of a wiring diagram. Probably nothing, lol. I could still look for the diagrams and see if anything jumps out at me.

I'd visually check as much of the wiring as possible. Was anything exposed to the elements that wasn't supposed to be? Was anything ever added to the factory setup like an alarm system, aftermarket radio, etc. that was installed by someone other than the dealer?
I don't think anything would have been exposed to the elements unless I have a seal leak somewhere that I'm not aware of.. And nothing at all has been added to my truck by anyone since I've owned it. I bought it used almost two years ago, and this problem only cropped up within the last month or so (at least that's when I became aware of it). The radio and alarm system are both stock though, I know that much.
The fact that you've only owned it 2 years is where I'm concerned, It may have taken 3 years for a minor rubbing issue to become a shorted wire.

Again, I'd check the for what's original on it and what's been added and then figure out from there.

1) What's stock on your rig and what isn't.
2) Where were things modified and what does the installation look like and was everything properly insulated?

A decent troubleshooter will be able to determine where to start looking based on your wiring schematics but you might see what's wrong based on worn or possibley stripped wire insulation, etc.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:23 PM

The fact that you've only owned it 2 years is where I'm concerned, It may have taken 3 years for a minor rubbing issue to become a shorted wire.

Again, I'd check the for what's original on it and what's been added and then figure out from there.

1) What's stock on your rig and what isn't.
2) Where were things modified and what does the installation look like and was everything properly insulated?

A decent troubleshooter will be able to determine where to start looking based on your wiring schematics but you might see what's wrong based on worn or possibley stripped wire insulation, etc.
Thank you so much for all the tips. I'll see what there is to see and then if I can't do it alone I'll go the mechanic route.

Quick Reply: Problem with '00 MS-LS internal lighting