Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Problem with Error Code 403

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Default Problem with Error Code 403

I am new here so I will stop buy the newbie forum, but am having an issue with my 2000 Montero Sport 4wd. It started idling funny especially at a stop. RPMs drop so low that it wants to die and now when I start it, it has a hard time unless I gas it. It has been intermittent, but is pretty consistent now. I don't have any problems once I get it on the freeway. I also have occasional surges and bogs at cold start-up. Air/fuel ratio issues...

It has been scanned and threw a code 403 and so we slapped a 2g egr with a quick mod on it. I know, quick fix and possibly not a fix but my car loved it. Ran great for a few days no and no idle problems. Then it started again. So...we got the porper EGR valve for my car brand new. Put it on and it ran like crap.

Rescanned it with a more accurate Snap on scanner and still have the error. Went through and scanned each part individually and it is not reading any problems. Replaced vacuum lines...most...and still having issues.

I know it could be several things from the symptoms but am sticking with EGR idea due to codes. I considered throttle, solenoids, alternator, even thermostat...but these things should show up on the scanner if it is something like that. Even thought to just reset but that would just make the code go away temporarily and not be a fix...right?

Majorly aggravated since this is my DD. BTW...I searched on here ahead of time for advice, but did it under the code and not EGR so sorry if I am being repetitive.

Suggestions would be great because obviosuly I am missing something.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 AM

Did you recently replace or disconnect the battery by any chance?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:58 AM

Battery has not been changed recently or disconnected. We reset the lights using the scanner...and was thinking that is all we need to do since it is a learning computer...are you thinking we need to rese t the ecu?

Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 PM

Update....tested egr solenoid and it is 30 ohms. Should be good right? So disconnected vacuums and such and removed build ups. Still not running right. Here is what really has me stumped. Disconnect the solinoid from egr and car runs fine. Under what circunstances should tje solenoid tell the egr valve to open because apparently this is not functioning correctly? Throwing a new dole
noid to see if that will be the fix but this doesn't seem right to me.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:21 PM

Did replacing the egr solenoid fix your problem? Having the same difficulties with my 98 Monterro.