Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Programming remote for Montero

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Default Programming remote for Montero

Hi Guys, I lost my remote and finally got one from ebay. It came with some instructions but I am having hell of a time to get them to work. The instructions tell me to short pins 1 and 4 on the data port and then switch the ignition key between off and acc 3 times, the door locks should flash. I have done that about 5 times now and I only got the door locks to flash once and never again. Sadly, when they did flash once, I panicked and clicked on the lock button on the remote but nothing happened.

Does anyone have any more info on this? Has anyone tried doing this?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 PM

Just finished programming my remotes I got from iKeyless. Depends on your model/yr. Here are instructions for my 2002 Limited:

1. Key in ignition, but leave in off position.
2. Jumper wires, and within 10 second of the jumper, you must press hazard button 6 times. (I used two banana plugs with the tails in the connector so I didn't have to crawl out in 10 seconds etc.)
3. Doors will lock/unlock to confirm entry into programming mode.
4. Press remote lock once, wait a second, then press twice.
5. Doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming.
(repeat 4-5 for each remote)
6. Turn ignition on to end programming

Just programmed my two remotes this way...

From my instructions, all models are programmed starting with the key in the ignition and in the 'off' position, and starting the programming sequence within 10 seconds of connecting the jumper. Also, I put a voltmeter across the unjumpered pins and measured 4.5 volts.

Good luck!
Jeff

Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks man. I got it. I just had to be really fast doing it and it worked. I also found the following steps that helped alot.

Keyless Programming
- Underneath your drivers side dash you have a DLC (Data Line Connector). Notice how the DLC is tapered on both ends: you will be working with the top or wider row of cavities.
- Insert keys in ignition and leave in the off position. Make sure there are metal contact pins in terminals 1 and 4 and connect the Data Line Connecter terminal 1 to 4 with a suitable jumper wire (paperclip works great).
- Within 10 seconds after connecting the jumper wire, turn the ignition switch to the ACC position and then back off for 1 second Repeat 2 times. (Let me stress so you as soon as you connect the jump wire in terminal 1 and 4 you must immediately turn the key to ACC then OFF repeatedly 3 times, if you do it to slow or mess up then you must start all over by removing the paperclip and starting the process again).
- Press the Lock or Unlock button on the transmitter to be registered three times within 10 seconds. Upon successful programming the door will lock and unlock once.
- If there are 2 transmitters, register the first, then register the second (Just the remote button, press 3 times) using the same procedure within one minutes. After completing the second programming the doors will lock and unlock once
- Disconnect the programming wire (paperclip) and remove keys.

Note: The above works for most with mine, I wasn’t getting a good ground from Pin # 4 (Pin 1 is the actual keyless reset pin and Pin 4 is supposed to just provide a ground. I jumped Pin 1 direct to a ground (I just touched the other end of the wire to the cigarette lighter rim, the metal edge of the sleeve, not the positive end inside the receptacle!). This worked perfect! It locked & unlocked once, then it programmed as soon as I pressed my remote three times!

Good luck to all who ever come on this page trying to look for directions.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 PM
Default 2002 Montero Limited

I tried the steps in the order given in this site but it still doesn't work. Any help reprogramming my remote?

Old 12-21-2020, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by designflaw
Hi Guys, I lost my remote and finally got one from ebay. It came with some instructions but I am having hell of a time to get them to work. The instructions tell me to short pins 1 and 4 on the data port and then switch the ignition key between off and acc 3 times, the door locks should flash. I have done that about 5 times now and I only got the door locks to flash once and never again. Sadly, when they did flash once, I panicked and clicked on the lock button on the remote but nothing happened.

Does anyone have any more info on this? Has anyone tried doing this?
I am experiencing the same problems. Did anyone ever provide a solution?

Old 12-21-2020, 09:12 PM

I programmed two remotes for my 2001 Montero Limited within the past 2 years. The first one I used the steps listed above by designflaw. The second remote, which was purchased a few months later, would not work using that method, no matter how many times I tried. I then tried the steps posted above by mvious above and it worked. The first one still functioned normally as well after I programmed the second one.

This is the remote I got (both of them): Montero remote.

Realistically, this is not very helpful to you. Sorry about that. I'm just trying to say that there weren't any additional steps or insights that I did when programming these. It's weird that I had to use two different processes but both worked and the remotes still work to this day.

This site has similar instructions to mvious' process above.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:57 AM

Sorry guys, I sold my car in 2014 and can't be of help anymore.

Old 12-23-2020, 11:00 AM

I purchased a set of replacement key fobs at Amazon some time ago. They came with the link to this site for programing instructions:
https://www.remotesremotes.com/Repla...ons-s/6647.htm

It took several tries, but it worked. Make sure to understand instructions, since often timing is important.