Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Question - 2002 Montero Sport XLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Default Question - 2002 Montero Sport XLS

Hello all!!!
I'm new to this site and have a situation with my Montero Sport. Yesturday, while driving, all of a sudden, a horrible noise came from the engine. Shortly after the noise the vehicle basically killed andcoasted to the side of the road. I opened the hood and attempted to statrt it again. After starting the noisealmost sounded like a belt flapping yetI didn't have any broken belts and it was behaving like it was misfiring/very rough idleand white smoke was coming from the exaust. Any ideas on what I may be up against? Any help is greatly appreaciated

Old 01-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Default RE: Question - 2002 Montero Sport XLS

Sounds like the timing belt..but I am no mechanic..I am sorry if it is..$$

Old 01-02-2007, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the reply.... everything I've been reading seems to point in that direction... guess I would rather the $$ for a timing belt than repairing/replacing the engine.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:12 PM

Well..I am almost positive if it was the timing belt,it did some serious damage if it broke..Read some of the posts on here about timing belt breaks..Your looking at alot of money if that is what happened!

Old 01-02-2007, 07:18 PM

I'm hoping that there won't be any since the truck will still start. Then again, I hve no idea what happens when a timing belt breaks.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:23 PM

Yeah I am not sure if it willrun if it breaks or not.So your saying it will run? It just runs rough and smokes?

Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 PM

That is correct..... mind you, you really don't want to it sounds so bad.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 PM

hmmm...Yeah..I wouldnt think it would run without the timingbelt..Hopefully someone who knows a little more about it will know what is going on..Good luck!

Old 01-02-2007, 10:43 PM

If it is the timing belt, find out...
[ol][*]Did the timing go off/bad?[*]If the timing did go off, is your engine an interference engine? Not sure which engine came with the XLS sport. Which engine do you have?[/ol]
If it's an interference engine, then hopefully you were able to shut if off quickly enough that nothing was damaged. The things that go bad are the valves, pistons,and head and related components (Because the timing belt prevents the valves from hitting the pistons).

If it's not an interference engine, then you have no worries about valve damage when the timing belt goes out.

If you need to replace your belt, you will essentially have to remove EVERYTHING from the front of the engine (all belts, pulleys, etc.) or if possible pivot/move them out of the way to allow access to the plastic cover that protects your timing belt. Remove the timing belt cover. Replace the belt and ensure timing marks are lined up.

Re-assemble. If you have to do the belt, you may as well R&R your water pump, tensioner pulley, pulley bearings, etc. Depending on mileage and age of your radiator and whether or not you use tap or distilled water with your coolant you may want also want to considerrodding your radiatoras a preventative measure tooverheating your engine.

HTH.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 PM

It has a SOHC 3.5L v6. I spoke to the mechanic since my last post. He hasn't really looked at it yet and after starting itfor a moment, he thinks the last place I had change the oil overfilled the oil. He suspects they didn't drain the old oil by mistake and added 5 quarts since the specs say it takes 5 quarts. What damage can come from that scenerio if driven for ~3000 miles?

Quick Reply: Question - 2002 Montero Sport XLS