Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Question - 2002 Montero Sport XLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:51 AM
Default RE: Question - 2002 Montero Sport XLS

Not likely I suspect. You'd have a ton of smoke blowing past your rings from too much pressure. That's what happened when I over filled my 3.0L SOHC by about a quart.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:07 AM

What is an interference engine? Is the one I have considered one?

Old 01-03-2007, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: nashje

What is an interference engine? Is the one I have considered one?
An interference engine is one where the valves will hit the pistons if the timing is not set correctly.If the timingbelt breaks then you willusually need to replace your valves and possibly damage your head/piston. In a non-interference design the valves don't hit anything when the timingis off or the beltbreaks.

I'm not sure if yours isan interference motoror not. I know mine isn't so luckily if I break a timing belt, I'll simply coast to the side of the road (with luck).

Some engines (like my 95 VW Golf GL 2.0L) are not interference engines until you get above 2500 rpm. Then they become interference engines due to centrifugal acceleration causing the valves to move farther into the combustion chamber potentially hitting the piston and head if a timing belt breaks..

Old 01-03-2007, 04:53 PM

I really don't know anything about engines. I can change oil, filters, batteries, alternators, and such. Beyond that, I'm lost. I appreciate the info you are providing. I kind of want to be able to at least somewhat understand what the mechanic is going to tell me. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 AM

i am new to mitsubishis but am just going to have to say no....a car will not run without a timing belt (you did say it still runs right?). a tooth could have broke and timing slipped...possibly. with white smoke pouring out of your truck i would be leaning more towards anasty head gasket blow!water entering the fuel/air mixture in the chamber will/can cause the bad shuddering you describe. as for the broken belt sound....idk. could poss be that the gasket blewoutward and essentially causing an exhaust type leak which can sound possibly like that...i guess...??

please explain the "broken belt" type noise in more detail.could it also be described as a pressure cooker? take a good whiff of the exhaust fumes....smell like antifreeze or sweet? whats the coolant level like? pull the plugs and see if there are any really clean ones and let us know what you find...

Old 01-09-2007, 03:23 AM
Banned

Seriously PLEASE stop giving advice if you know NOTHING on the subject.

Timing belt is****ed upThe reason you cant see it is because its under the cover. You will be extremely lucky if you havnt bent a valve or 8.

Sounds like you also have a blown head gasket

WHITE SMOKE IS NOT ****ING WATER!!!!!!

w000t 4000th post

Old 01-09-2007, 08:37 AM

i dont know what your bitching about. a car will NOT run with a broken timing belt! if timing slipped thats another story but it isnt going to be making a flapping noise just slipped. the "flapping" noise could also be mistaken for backfiring, vlave/s hitting the pistonor the engine shaking againts a mount or something.im not sure if the guy knows thi diff between any of the above.

in the future i will refrain from using the word water to describe coolant....which is a mix of water and antifreeze in MOST everyones vehicles. water, coolant, antifreeze....i doesnt ****ing matter which one is causing the white smoke. when your talking about a blown head gasket, ppl will understand that the word "water" meansthe **** that circulates through the engine and helps keep it cool.

bottom line....he has a blown head gasket. rather it was caused by timing slipping or if timing has slipped is yet to be known! however, the belt cannot be broken.

stop being a little bitch...

Old 01-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

Hmmm i was making a point. Its something you didnt know... and you guessed... and you were wrong. So next time please stfu.

I never said the car would run without a timing belt.... duh

Old 01-09-2007, 02:51 PM

Sebba, you may have been here a long time, but you need to learn to read better. Everything Flunnky has stated is accurate. I am still curious as to howOP's car could run with a F'ed up timing belt?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Banned

It can run if the belt is a couple teeth off... maybe even upto three. Thats what i meant...

Quick Reply: Question - 2002 Montero Sport XLS