Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Rear Axle, gears & diff ID

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Default Rear Axle, gears & diff ID

How can I determine what rear axle is in my '98 Montero Sport? Is it a Dana 44?

I'm also trying to confirm what gears are in it and whether it has a limited slip differential or not.

Thanks.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Default RE: Rear Axle, gears & diff ID

Mitsu Gears. (probably made by either mitsu or Aisin) but the only re-gearing options are mitsu built rigs. Nothing available through your traditional gear shops unless they order OEM stuff...

That said, I believe your gear ratio is 4.2xx or 4.625:1

Usually the gear ratio is stamped on your vin/engine info plate which is in the very front near your hood latch.

On Montero's, the lsd equiped vehicles sometimes come with a sticker that indicates this. The sticker will be on the driver's door jamb area or it will be on a plate on the diff itself indicating to add a gear lube with LSD additive.

IF you have none of those, you can always jack up the rear so that both tires are off the ground (don't use the parking brake) and turn the rear tires. If they both spin in the same direction you have an LSD, if they spin in opposite directions then you have an open dif.

HTH.

I should add that Montero Sport's have 4.90's available but that's from the dealer. I don't recall the part number but I can probably find out for you from a friend that purchased them. They are $$$$$.