Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 MS - Front Diff/Axle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Default 2002 MS - Front Diff/Axle Issues

I have an '02 Montero Sport that is currently at the shop. The diagnosis is the right front axle has slipped out of the differential. To fix they either say the entire right axle needs to be replaced and possibly the differential needs to be replaced. The shop is telling me replacing the front differential is the route to take. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-B

Old 12-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Default RE: 2002 Montero Sport XLS

Depending on how far it came out of the housing, how long you drove it like that, & how you drove it are likely the keys to how bad the damage was.

On my 1990 IIRC, it's held in place with a C-clip inside the diff. If it didn't come out that far, then damage should be minor and I doubt all the stuff needs to be replaced, unless you've got a bunch of miles on it & it will cost you less in the future to do it all now while it's apart.

On mine R&R of the wheel bearing was actually a pretty simple affair and the hardest part by far was re-lubing it properly simply because of how thick the grease is.

HTH.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Default 03 Limited with rear diff issue

Got home tonight and discovered a dreaded oil leak. Looked under the truck and found that one of the rear 1/2 axles slipped out of the diff. I did go off road today, but it wasnt really that bad. Im hoping that I have no damage due to the fact that I caught it early. The axle is about 1/2" out of of the diff.
Tomorrow, I plan to remove the half shaft and try to remove the flange and inspect the circlip etc. I pray that nothing is ground up or broken inside. I hope its just replacing a circlip (after all, how did the axle come out in the first place?) and relubing everything and putting it back together.
I upload some pics and stuff of what I find.

I guess Im not the only one that has experienced this with the GenIII montero -

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ght=driveshaft

Last edited by tj90; 03-15-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:51 AM

I took the companion shaft out yesterday and it looked pretty good. I understand that Mitsubishi has an improved design that they replaced with this original. The flange is 170mm on the original unit and the new one is 185mm (I believe). I was happy to see that the wire retainer clip and teeth on the bore were in good shape. I decided to just reinstall the original and fortunately, I caught it early enough where I did not loose any diff fluid.

Attached Thumbnails  2002 MS - Front Diff/Axle Issues-p3157596.jpg