Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Repacking Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Default Repacking Wheel Bearings

Repacking wheel bearings for my 1998 Mitsubishi montero sport V6 4wd vehicle. Never done it before, car novice with repairs. Anything I need to know? Any special tools needed other than ratchet and socket set, and wrenches?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 PM

I was just looking into wheel bearings for my '02.
Except for my model the bearing can't be repacked.
The wheel bearing comes as a complete sealed unit you swap with the old one.
I'm not sure about your year and model. Make sure you check your factory manuel before diving into the project. Sometimes a call to your local dealer can be helpful.
Good Luck

Old 06-21-2010, 09:52 PM

Well I didn't know that. The dealer quoted me $244.28 to repack the wheel bearings. Were they lying? Or is there something i'm missing.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:59 AM

Why do you think your bearings need repacking? Is there evidence of grease leaking out of the hubs? Spending a lot of time driving through rivers?

Nowhere in the service interval chart for my '99 does it mention repacking the bearings even though it mentions almost everything else. Maybe I'm living on the edge but my bearings are just fine at 208K.

With 4wd getting the front hubs off requires special tools to remove and a viariety shim packs to get the spacing right - especially if you mess with the bearings - the so it's not a DIY job IMO. If you feel you really need new grease have it done by a mechanic.

Ron

Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 PM

I've talked to alot of people and they say the unit is a sealed unit. You cannot repack the wheel bearings. It only came to my attention when I had to get a engine diagnostic done to my vehicle when it wasn't starting (due to the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor). They said they should be repacked along with the cam plug o-rings.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 AM

I've owned three 4WD/AWD Montero Sports and none of them had sealed bearings. The only time I've ever repacked them was during the R&R of the brake rotors where the hub has to come off anyway.

You are going to need a special tool to remove and properly preload the jam nut that holds the hub on. Mitsu sells the tool but it is very expensive. I made mine by modifying a Chevy front hub socket (I had all the teeth milled off except two directly across from one-another). Do a search here and on http://msport97.proboards.com/index.cgi? for more on how to make one of these hub tools. Some people use a punch and hammer to tighten and loosen the jam nut but that is a ghetto solution that won't give you an accurate preload for the bearings and will likely damage the nut.

Replace the seals too. They are cheap so you might as well while you're in there.

Attached Thumbnails Repacking Wheel Bearings-front_hub_26-13.jpg   Repacking Wheel Bearings-front_hub_26-16.jpg  
Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by tizzo
Well I didn't know that. The dealer quoted me $244.28 to repack the wheel bearings. Were they lying? Or is there something i'm missing.
It's likely that when you called the dealer you were not speaking to an actual mechanic. The service guy most likely looked in the computer for a price quote for repacking wheel bearings without bothering to plug in your year vehicle. It's sounding like the wheel bearings have not presented too many problems for people. My research says that the front units are over $300 per sealed unit and the rears are over $200 per unit.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:51 PM

No, my vehicle was physically there. They did a complete maintenance check on it.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Default 98/99 Mountain Hunter (Montero) Wheel bearings

Had a 98 and have a 99 wheel bearings sealed and lubed by the front diff gear lube...make sure ya change and put back in at full capacity. Find out more then...

Ill be getting all front end joints and control arms, ti rods etc. replaced soon and then coil over shocks and rock guards slowly then retire in 15 yrs BAJA! motor dec'd and bp minimum bored increased hp to 207

I hear a toyota lift kit works well but I'm not rock climbing but 70 plus across bumps and berms across desert.
Cant wait!

Old 02-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Default Ha

Just so intrigued missed that 2010 date of post, Doesn't this site get rid of posts 7 yrs old

Quick Reply: Repacking Wheel Bearings