Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   replacecing parts (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/replacecing-parts-37220/)

phenoyz 10-04-2010 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Obakemono (Post 264417)
Haha. This thing does not have a cap and rotor.

can you elaborate more....NO CAP and ROTOR? did you know the previous owner ----:)

mtc137 10-04-2010 10:38 PM

Most modern vehicles have a distributorless ignition system such as this. Ignition timing is variable and computer controlled by multiple coil packs. There is no distributor cap to replace and I wouldn't be surprised if the guy blatantly lied about the new spark plugs because of the labor involved, but I hope that's not true. If it were me, I'd have asked for the receipts.

As far as the timing belt kit is concerned, I've never bought the kit, but I'm 90% sure the tensioner is not included. The pulleys should be. There is an idler pulley and tensioner pulley, The tensioner itself is a hydraulic cylinder that maintains the correct tension on the belt via a pully on the end of a bracket the piston puts pressure on. The tensioner has to be checked to make sure it's within operational limits, but the pulleys should be replaced, regardless of their condition.
Make sure you (or your mechanic) knows what you're doing. There are special tools needed to do this properly. Miss one detail on this project, you can end up killing your immediately or a year or two down the road.

phenoyz 10-04-2010 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by mtc137 (Post 264421)
Most modern vehicles have a distributorless ignition system such as this. Ignition timing is variable and computer controlled by multiple coil packs. There is no distributor cap to replace and I wouldn't be surprised if the guy blatantly lied about the new spark plugs because of the labor involved, but I hope that's not true. If it were me, I'd have asked for the receipts.

As far as the timing belt kit is concerned, I've never bought the kit, but I'm 90% sure the tensioner is not included. The pulleys should be. There is an idler pulley and tensioner pulley, The tensioner itself is a hydraulic cylinder that maintains the correct tension on the belt via a pully on the end of a bracket the piston puts pressure on. The tensioner has to be checked to make sure it's within operational limits, but the pulleys should be replaced, regardless of their condition.
Make sure you (or your mechanic) knows what you're doing. There are special tools needed to do this properly. Miss one detail on this project, you can end up killing your immediately or a year or two down the road.

wow..never thought this is going to be a complicated truck..hehe
so this model year does not have a "DISTRIBUTOR"... i know the previous owner would lie about things that were really replaced or not thats why i want to replace everything to be sure...

*when i replace the timing belt what kind of tensioner do i need to buy?
when u say special tools u mean dealership only has this tools
*the water pump
*what else can u recommend going to make a long drive this thanksgiving

WHY DIDNT MITSU just used a timing chain...those idiots..hehe

thanks for reply

MitJsus 10-05-2010 08:40 AM

As a warning, I wouldn't recommend replacing the timing belt yourself unless you have previous experience with this and/or are a very skilled mechanic. Make a mistake in this complicated procedure and you're motor could suffer major damage.

phenoyz 10-05-2010 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by MitJsus (Post 264437)
As a warning, I wouldn't recommend replacing the timing belt yourself unless you have previous experience with this and/or are a very skilled mechanic. Make a mistake in this complicated procedure and you're motor could suffer major damage.

Nope...I plan to have dealership do the timing belt...
thanks

Obakemono 10-05-2010 11:59 AM

The hardest part about changing the timing belt for me was finding the damn lower pulley timing dot (hard to see), once it was found I marked all the timing marks with a yellow paint pen.

Obakemono 10-05-2010 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by phenoyz (Post 264419)
can you elaborate more....NO CAP and ROTOR? did you know the previous owner ----:)

Just chuckling at the fact the guy you bought the truck from said cap and rotor. The engine has 3 2-plug coils that are triggered by the engine control unit. It gives more flexability for engine management and less parts to wear out.

phenoyz 10-05-2010 02:14 PM

i went to the dealer today and they quoted me: $560+tax for a
"timing belt replacement" it only included the TIMING BELT:

"idler pulley" and "tensioner pulley" not included?

SA told me tensioner is $100, at this site this is the price is $34.77: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214857

would i be better off if i go to an independent mechanic? since i can buy those other parts and can also tell them
to change the water pump and its components
Thanks for all the info

phenoyz 10-05-2010 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Obakemono (Post 264445)
The hardest part about changing the timing belt for me was finding the damn lower pulley timing dot (hard to see), once it was found I marked all the timing marks with a yellow paint pen.

Did you need "special tools"? are you a mechanic by profession....
Thanks

mtc137 10-05-2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by phenoyz (Post 264451)
i went to the dealer today and they quoted me: $560+tax for a
"timing belt replacement" it only included the TIMING BELT:

"idler pulley" and "tensioner pulley" not included?

SA told me tensioner is $100, at this site this is the price is $34.77: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214857

would i be better off if i go to an independent mechanic? since i can buy those other parts and can also tell them
to change the water pump and its components
Thanks for all the info

At minimum, you need a timing belt, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley. At your mileage, I'd suggest dropping the extra $100 and throw in water pump while you're in there. It's cheap insurance.
I don't recommend using any mechanic unless they have mitsubishi techs working there or have a great deal of experience working on these engines. Again, I can't stress it enough. It's so easy to screw this job up and not be able to notice it immediately, but 2 years from now when your belt fails because the tensioner/tensioner pulley wasn't set/torqued properly, you won't be able to go back and complain to the mechanic who didn't know any better.

They need access to a factory service manual and special tools to tighten the tensioner to the proper torque.
I'd suggest buying the parts yourself and having the dealer do it. A good tech can probably do it in about 4 hours.