Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Replaced Cam Shaft Sensor - now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 07:53 AM
Default Replaced Cam Shaft Sensor - now won't start

I have a 2003 Montero Limited with 84K miles. Pulled code P340 for cam shaft sensor, had all symptoms rough running, barely starting, came on very fast. Have never had any issues with it. Sensor was replaced and now it won't start at all. Sounds and feels like timing is off. Hubby borrowing a high end scanner today to see if there are any other codes. He has 45+ years in the business, so I doubt it was anything he might have done. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:42 AM

Is it possible the camshaft sensor was installed with 180 degrees off timing (half rotation)?

Old 10-09-2018, 11:03 AM

Hello Hunter,

Thank you for the reply ! The sensor only goes in one way. The new scanner showed the new aftermarket part was dead. They put the old one back in, it wants to start. This code can also be thrown by timing belts (changed 20K ago by dealer), mass air flow sensors, or the crankshaft position sensor. To make things worse, the truck has spark, which it shouldn't have......so at this point it is being towed today to a reputable shop for trouble shooting. Provided the problem is found and solved, it will get a full tune up too. I am going to insist on OEM parts though, not aftermarket junk. I'll drive my Ram for now, but the Montero goes places it can't. It has done everything I ever asked of it and has never let me down nor had a problem of any kind until now. I am very attached to it, (sorry hubby) and will do everything in my power to keep it running as long as possible ! Thanks again and cross your fingers !

Old 10-10-2018, 01:56 AM

Check the Throttle position sensor and the ISP sensor. They love to fail. Once i changed the battery on my Montero the whole this went haywire! Didnt start so increased the choke screws to have it idle and then ran a whole day for ECU to memorize my driving pattern.