Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

For the sake of information.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Default For the sake of information.

I have a 2002 Montero XLS 4x4, 64K miles (What does "XLS" stand for anyway?)..

Had a slight noise - wheel bearing noise - for about a month. Was going to do it myself, but didn't have the time. I've done more wheel bearings than I care to remember. I took it to the dealer and he quoted me a price - for one wheel bearing - my jaw hit the floor. The quote was $466.00. After looking on the net, I discovered that the bearing "assembly" is about $250, so I guess that made things easier to swallow. After they started the work, I got a call about bad news. The bearing assemble had apparently fused to the steering knuckle from the heat, so the knuckle had to be replaced also. In addition, they indicated that I would need a new ABS sensor too before it was all over with. Total price now - $1300.00 for a wheel bearing, new knuckle, ABS sensor and the labor to do the job! Lesson learned: As soon as you hear that wheel bearing noise - FIX IT!!!!

I inquired about changing the timing belt. The price quoted was $675.00. Another $90.00 will also buy a new timing belt tensioner. I think they were pretty reasonable since they gave me 10% off the wheel bearing work and they were offering 15% off the timing belt work, so the final prices would be less than the $1300, $675 and $90 I mentioned previously. I think I'm going to wait about a year or two, then do the whole front package - timing belt, timing tensioner, accessory drive belts, coolant flush, upper hose, lower hose, thermostat, water pump & gasket.

Also, does anyone know where I can get headrests for this vehicle. I bought the Montee about 18 months ago, and when I finally flipped up the flip-down seat last week, I noticed there were no headrests - is there a secret hiding place where I haven't checked?. The dealership quoted - get this - $190.00 per headrest (that's one-hundred ninety dollars each folks!). I said NO! Junk yard is my next stop unless someone has a better idea - or wants to sell me two for something less than $190.

Only other problems I've had with the Montee was a burned out 4x4 light bulb, recall service on the brake booster, a brake light bulb, and thankfully that's it.

Just put a hitch on it to tow a trailer.

Comments are welcome and expected. Thank you.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Default RE: For the sake of information.

The XLS is the base model for the 02 Montero unless it has the Touring package. There were only two option levels offered, XLS and Limited. The Montero Sport offers LS, XLS, and Limited. In either package, the Montero is nicely equipped and offers off roading ability you may not have previously considered.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:28 PM

Thank you Dirtwagon. How would I know if there is a touring package on my model? Would it be in the Vin#? Or is the touring package the "Limited" model? I also understand that the Montero is the favored and main off-roading vehicle in many other countries. I recall seeing a program where three Monteros were going across Brazil on an expedition, I believe.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:22 PM

the fusing issue with the bearing and knuckle happens a LOT in winter states.....

Old 08-24-2006, 10:14 AM

Many thanks Manybrews. What is the significance with winter states? I would think that the hotter states would be the setting for heat-related damage (fusing).

Old 08-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Its the snow and salt on the roads that really create the damage

Old 08-24-2006, 02:00 PM

The salt is corrosive. You'll notice that in states where there is no snow, the only time you really see body rot on cars is when they are brought in from another state. It wears on the mechanical parts as well as the body/frame.
To see if you have the touring package you can look for your vehicle's ID tag and decode it, I'm not sure where it is on your truck- possibly stuck inside the glovebox. You can also ask the dealer to print it out from the service department- it will tell you all the equipment that came with your truck, where it was sold, if it was a rental, warranty claims, etc.
.....OR I can tell you the equipment that comes in the package and save you some time
- ultrasuede seat trim
- sunroof
You must have both to have the touring package.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:58 PM

Thank you dirtwagon. You have solved that mystery. I do not have a sunroof.

Since we are on the topic of option packages, would you know if they offered a towing package for my Montee (XLS, 2002, 6cyl, 4x4). I just put a hitch on it, and I was just wondering if there is any other equipment I should consider installing for towing, ie. trans cooler, oil cooler, etc. Not intending to tow much, maybe a 4k lb travel trailer.

Your thoughts?

Old 08-29-2006, 02:00 PM

All Monty's in the US are equiped for towing. It already has a ATF cooler and an engine oil cooler. You should be fine, just keep an eye on your coolant temp.

How big of a trailer do you intend to haul?

If you have not changed out your coolant I would do it now. There is a handy little drain valve on the radiator. Just drain and top up.

I would also have the dealer flush the AT fluid. Especially if you plan on hauling a trailer. I just flushed the fluid on my '03 with 33k miles and it was already very brown.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:29 PM

Winshawn's right. Change the fluids. Trannies should be flushed regularly. Check your manual or ask the dealer for the interval. I do mine annually but that's because I regulary use it off road where it's much harder on it.

Also, only use compatible tranny fluid. Be 150% sure on the compatibility unless you rebuild tranny's in your sleep. Mobil 1 is not compatible. IIRC, I have an ATF +3 in mine which works well.

Quick Reply: For the sake of information.