Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

serious tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Default serious tranny problem

i have a 2000 montero sport 4wd and the only forward gear is third and it shifts real hard into reverse. the neutral light is flashing and the service engine light but the scanner said that it was a tranny problem with no code. i took it to my mechanic just to look at it tonight and his first guess was the alternator because the battery was not charging. his explination was that it is an electronicly controled transmission and there wasnt enough power to control the tranny. the though me and my friends had was the tps. it happend in his durango and was stuck in second but the tps doesnt explain the hard shift into reverse.

any thoughts would be appreciated, i dont know much about these vehicles and learning about it is a much better option than going to a mechanic.

thanks,

chris

Old 12-29-2006, 02:32 AM
Default RE: serious tranny problem

First if your not charging, things like the tranny may experience failures since it's computer controlled.

Second, if it is charging, then when was the last time you did a lube change on your tranny fluid? Also, did you use Mitsu fluid or fluid you know with absolute certainty is 100% compatible? If you use the wrong fluid you will DESTROY your tranny. It will require a VERY EXPENSIVE rebuild or replacement. We're talking thousands of dollars so just be sure you use the right fluid. It's worth paying extra for Mitsu Tranny if you're not 100% sure.

Also, even though Mobil 1 say's its compatible with Mitsu Tranny's it may not be (depending on the tranny)... in fact, I personally know of someone who's mitsu Gen I monty's auto tranny was damaged from using Mobil 1. We confirmed this through fluid analysis.

HTH.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:09 PM

thanks for the resopnse, i'm gonna change the alternator today and if that doesnt work i'm changing the fluid which has never been changed in 108000 miles.

are there any retailers to get the mitsu tranny fluid ot do i need to go to a dealer for it?

thanks,

chris

Old 12-29-2006, 05:21 PM

You can get SP III fluid from any Mitsu, Hyundai or Kia dealer.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:24 PM

if the nuetral light is blinking, there is a code. take it to a mitsu tech that knows the car, not some independant place.
do NOT use the engine computer code (as there will be one), but rather the trans computer code. The engine computer will toss a generic code that is not at all accurate.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:35 PM

I have a 2000 sport with pretty much the same problem. Mine does go away for an intermittant time if I stop and turn off the ignition. But I have the N light start blinking and the "service engine light" come on. Also, if I stop and shift into reverse without shuting off the ignition it shifts hard. The dealer had the car for 8 weeks, changed several solinoids and a couple cables, sent the computer chip off to be checked, but found nothing. If you solve the problem, please let us know what you find. Also, when this happens, it is stuck in 3rd. I have aprox, 130,000 miles, the trans fluid has been replaced at around 70 by the dealer
thanks

Old 12-30-2006, 01:24 PM

the most common issues on the sport are 1)a failed input or output speed sensor, or 2)corrosion of the wiring harness that leads to the trans, which is located right under the drivers side carpeting. Water can wick its way up through a number of splices, and corrode the harness into a green chunk of goo.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:19 PM

my dealer has replaced the speed sensor, and a wiring harness. I am not sure which harness though

Old 12-31-2006, 02:53 AM

right now it's snowing and the cold weather is messing with the battery and wont let it turn over. it's at a shop now to be fixed, hopfully it's something simple that wont cost to much.

thanks for all the input

chris

Old 01-02-2007, 05:26 PM

just got word from the shop, i cant belive i didnt think about it, a fuse. the sad thing is i've had fuses blow before on other vehicles but for some reason decided not to check them this time.

thanks for all the help even though it was the dumbest reason

chris

Quick Reply: serious tranny problem