Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Slack/play in Gen3 drive shaft or diff

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 11:09 AM
Default Slack/play in Gen3 drive shaft or diff

Hi:

Long time member but haven't needed to post lately. For the 11 years I've owned my '05 Limited, I've learned to carefully ease on and off the throttle to avoid a clunk in the rear end. As if there is too much play or backlash somewhere in the system. I do a lot of work on cars, but diffs are not fun, so I learned to live with it.

At 160K miles now, it's gotten progressively worse, so it's time to dig in. I think I should be able to determine if it's really ring & pinion lash, or something in the drive shaft, but wanted to ask here about any similar episodes and possible diagnoses.

I did several searches here but haven't found that it's a commonly reported issue.

Would appreciate any input/suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2022, 02:40 AM

Greetings jrmdir,
I have a 2002 Montero XLS (140,000 miles) with the same problem.
If I am smooth and light with the on/off throttle, I can minimize the driveline "clunk" .
Have you had any luck in discovering the problem causing this clunking noise?
Thanks, Nick

Old 12-05-2022, 03:07 PM

HI Nick:

Not yet. I'm still planning on getting it up in the air and at least ruling out, or in, a driveshaft problem. Probably won't get to it until Jan. however.

Hopefully someone else reading this will have some more info to add.

Ron

Old 12-10-2022, 06:43 PM

Hey Ron,
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry for the lateness getting back to you (caused by my researching our problem).
I put the Montero in neutral, parking brake on, and twisted the drive shaft left and right.
There is a "clicking" noise, but I'll have to remove the drive shaft to see if the sound is coming from the CV joints or the
differential.
Have you ever had the drive shaft off?
I've been watching online videos on this procedure and the way to remove the shaft is by making alignment marks, removing the six bolts to the
differential and wiggling (malleting) the differential joint to lossen and then slide the shaft back to remove from the transfer
case.
Does that sound about right?
CV joints can be ordered on eBay for $60.00 USD each, or a whole new drive shaft for about $500.00 USD
Take care, Nick

Old 02-25-2023, 02:38 PM

Well, I finally got around to checking things out and, Nick, I can confirm what you found. Twisting the drive shaft back and forth reveals the slack and the clicking/knocking sound - very much like what we hear when on and off the throttle. I also cannot tell where the looseness is, but it seems there's a weird acoustic phenomenon in that the noise seems to be coming from the center tube of the shaft - but it's a solid tube, so it must be magnifying noise from one of the ends

I played around with it enough to believe that it's not in the diff and I suspect the rear CV joint. I started to disconnect it to make sure but stopped when gear lube started to ooze out. Will try again after draining the diff.

Ron

Old 03-01-2023, 12:02 AM

Hey Ron,
I concur with your findings.
I just received two CV (constant velocity) joint kits for the drive shaft.
After loosening the six bolts securing the rear of the drive shaft, the shaft rear end should drop down and should slide out of the rear of the transmission with a minimum of spillage. Be sure and do this on level ground.
I'll attempt the repair this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Fare thee well, Nick
Onward!!!

Old 03-01-2023, 01:20 PM

Thanks Nick, looking forward to hearing how it goes.

BTW, in my last post I said I stopped removing the rear CV because lube was coming out after I got the bolts out. My knee jerk reaction was that it was from the diff, but on further thought, there should be no path from diff to CV, unless the pinion seal is leaking. But I've never had any indication of seepage in that area. So now I'm thinking it was just the old grease in the CV and if I had finished separating things the spillage would be minimal. However, I'm still perplexed since the viscosity of what was coming out looked more like oil than grease.

Good luck!

Ron

Old 03-14-2023, 08:50 AM

Hi Nick: Any luck?

Thanks,

Ron

Old 03-18-2023, 12:05 AM

Hey Ron,
I've been procrastinating on doing the repair.
However, I did receive the CV joints and a new compact "stubby" 1/2" air impact gun. I love an excuse to buy a new tool!! Hah!!
I had more pressing issues and had to put the repair on the back burner. I have a few backup vehicles so it was not critical to do the repair.
I'll try and get my *** in gear and keep ya'll posted.
Ciao, Nick

Old 06-27-2023, 04:16 AM
Default It's your motor mounts.

It's 1 or all 3 engine mounts, replaced mine and this exact problem went away. Have them checked.

Quick Reply: Slack/play in Gen3 drive shaft or diff