Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Spark plug change

Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Default Spark plug change

Hey all,
Anyone change their sparkplugs on a Montero Sport with the 24V-single cam engine? (2000,3.0l)
It looks like I might have to pull the top half of the intake to get to them. If I have to dig that far into the engine I might as well change the timing belt (I just bought it used).
Rob

Old 09-16-2009, 11:00 AM

Lots of people have changed plugs. Do a search - it's a common topic. Here's a helpful website: http://www.monterosportonline.com/diy-perf2.html

It sounds odd, but there really isn't much overlap between this job and the Timing Belt. So not much labor saved doing them together. But it will consolodate your downtime I guess.

Are you sure you need a TB? How many miles on the current one? Mitsu admits they're good for at least 100K miles even they say to replace at 60K. (The fine print in the owners manual says that if you live in CA and a couple of other states the belt change interval is 100K - even though it's the same belt.) If you do change it, do the water pump as well.

While you're in this mode, check for oil seeping from the rear cam seals at the rear of the heads. They are a common problem but it's easy and cheap to replace the O-rings.

Ron

Ron

Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Default Plugs

The monty has 110k on it and runs very well. I need to change all the belts (cracked and dried out) so when I do that I will pull a timing belt cover and inspect the belt. I'll go from there on what to do once I see the condition of the belt. There are no records for the vehicle and the PO only had it for about a year, so I will start from what I know and build a good base (tune up, fluid changes ect) because I plan to keep it for a while.
I did have an oil leak, but just snugging up a bolt on the valve cover cured it. I'll check the o-rings once I do the heavy work on it.
Rob