Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

starter vs ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Default starter vs ignition switch

I have a '94 Montero SR. I have had a problem with my ignition for the past couple of months, but always starts. When I turn the key NOTHING happens. No clicking, buzzing or anything. If I keep trying it eventually engages and starts with no problem. (It doesn't always do this just every once in a while) Sometimes it only takes one more try others times it takes three or four. Also when it does engage it turns over very slowly almost like the battery is dead (but it is a new battery a couple months old).
My problem is this morning I went to go to work and now it won't start at all. All I get is a clicking sound my guess is I need a new starter.
How do I know if it is my starter or my ignition switch. (I know I probably need both, but would the ignition switch cause the starter to not engage and make the clicking sound?) This post is probably poorly written and explained but if anyone could help I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned
Default RE: starter vs ignition switch

Its not the switch.. because that clicking sound is the switch engaging

Old 06-27-2007, 12:12 PM

You can bypass the starter switch at the starter. If it starts then you know it's either the switch or related wiring. Alternatively, if you hit the starter a couple of times with a hammer (not brutally but not lightly either) and it starts then you know it's likely the starter (brushes most likely).

HTH.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:56 PM

dirty/old battery cables

Old 06-29-2007, 12:17 PM

Where is the clicking sound coming from? Under the engine, or inside the steering column?

If it's inside the column, the start contacts inside the ignition switch do burn out - it's not uncommon. When they start to go, you often get a buzzing or "clicking" noise inside the key switch as the worn out contacts arc.

Once you get the steering column bottom cover off, it's easy to unbolt the plastic switch from the back of the key lock and they are pretty cheap to buy - approx $25.00 last time I did it. So it may be worth it to replace first - then go after the starter if you need to.

Another diagnostic tip, once you getyour oldswitch off of the key lock, you can turn it with a small screwdriver - actually a bit further than the key does, so if the contacts are burned, you may see that it starts once you turn it past the burned area. But be careful doing this as, without the key lock assy, there is no spring action to bring it back to ON position - you don't want to leave the starter engaged after it starts. Of course you'll still need a new switch so if you are near a dealer, just replace it.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Ron

Old 06-30-2007, 12:11 AM

ORIGINAL: jrmdir

Where is the clicking sound coming from? Under the engine, or inside the steering column?

If it's inside the column, the start contacts inside the ignition switch do burn out - it's not uncommon.
Ron,

Have you had this experience with mitsu montero's/sports or with other cars? I've been involved with mitsu 4x4's for a long time and have never heard of a switch going bad.

On my old VW golf however, it's definitely common.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 AM

Yes, it happened on my '99 full size Montreo at around 120K miles. There are others on this forum who have had the same problem.

Ron

Old 07-05-2007, 01:20 AM

same thing happened to me except much quicker. turned slow only one time next morning i just got one lone click so i assumed it was a bad starter. after 4 hours getting the new starter on turned the key i still only got a single click. hosed down the battery cable terminals and connectors with some wd-40 and problem solved. pretty pissed after that