Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Default steering problem

2002 mitsubishi montero limited automatic ~25000 miles. Happens all the time and had an alignment when i bought the truck about 10 months ago. Problem started like 3 months ago. On the highway doing like 40+ mph, the truck tends to sway even though the steering wheel is straight so i would have to move the steering wheel to counteract this sway. It feels sorta like i have a "lazy" front wheel like a shopping cart front wheel. I have to battle the steering wheel in order to keep the truck from veering left and right. Any ideas? Thanx for any response given.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Default RE: steering problem

Can also be caused by the road conditions. If it's as bad as you're saying, then I suspect you'll be able to raise one side and move the lifted tire back and forth (L<->R) easily. Worth checking into although I would expect your mechanic already tried this.

If you can't do this, then not much else can go wrong with the steering system to allow this to happen.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:58 AM

I havent taken it to a mechanic yet. Was hoping i could get an opinion before i go to the shop. This happenes on every highway i go on so i doubt the road is at fault. Now assuming i lift the wheel up and it rocks back and fourth... what would be the cause?

Old 12-05-2006, 03:25 AM

Drove it again today and the steering is so bad that its very possible to lose control after 40+ mph. Even when the steering wheel is straight the car tends to sway left and right. Feels as if the bolts holding the wheel are all very loose (but there definetely on tight). Im guessing tie rod is bad? But in any event i will take it to a mechanic tomorrow cause the truck, at this point, is not only a hazord to me but everyone else on the road.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:32 PM

Whoever did your alignment screwed it up. Toe - in , camber, something is screwed up. It is not that easy to do a good alignment. The tech needs to know what they are doing. Plus, some of the alignment machines are not that good. Take it back to where you had the alignment done and make them test drive it. Or better yet tell them youn want your money back because you think they are incompetant, then go to a good shop.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:16 PM

Went to the mechanic today and found that the rear passenger side wheel was off wack. I forget which one is toe and camber but the bottom of the tire is angled inwards. There was no time to repar it today so i will bring it in next week and let u guys know what the results are if in fact thats the only problem and nothig else. He did mention that the ball joint is a bit worn but nothing to worry about at this time. Perhpas next season it will be time to replace it and that i should replace all 4. The truck has a little less than 30000 miles on it so its a bit wierd that the ball joint goes bad that soon unless its a common problem but in any event.....Thanx for the heads up guys.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:34 PM

Well... i took it to the dealership and they said that i need new shocks and tires and thats why the truck is swaying back and fourth. Does this make sence? I mean the car only has 30000 miles on it. They want 2200 dollars to replace shocks/tires. My question is..... Do u guys think that the original assumption from a regular mechanic is true where i need an alignment or do i listen to dealer and get the shocks/tires replaced? Im assuming even if i do replace the shocks that i would need an alignment. so i dont want to waste all this money if the problem is as simple as an alignment and certainly dont want to get new shocks and tires and then to find the problem is still there where all i needed was an alignment. Hope someon has any advice on this issue.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:47 PM

Why did you go to the dealer? I thought you found out that the right rear tire was out of whack?

Go step by step, get and alignment, then drive it.

However, it is strange that just one wheel is off. Maybe the adjustment came loose?

You do not need new shocks. The dealer is just trying to get you to throw money at them. How would they know you need new shocks? Oil leaking from shocks? Did they test the shocks?

What is wrong with your tires? Have they worn unevenly?

Don't buy tires from the dealer. For that matter, don't buy shocks from them either.

Get a good alignment and then drive it.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:54 PM

At first he told me that when the car sways like it does then thats usulaly the shocks and tires. I thought that was kinda strange cause i asked him.... "did u guys test drive the car"? and he hesitated for like 3 seconds and said "sure they test drove it". Then he added that shocks, on the average, need to be replaced ~40-50 thousand miles. Dont know how true that is but iv had cars that ran well over 60K withought shocks needing to be replaced. I think i will go with ur reply and get the alignment. Thanx for the quick reply.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:56 PM

For that matter, don't buy shocks from them either.
Agree with everything you've said although for those that have an OE Mitsu adjustable suspension, they are sometimes only available as a mitsu product even when made by a 3rd party manufacturer. This is the case with alot of the GEN II models with adjustable suspensions. The shocks were made by KYB but only available through mitsubishi. KYB did not offer them independently.

Cost $$$$

Quick Reply: steering problem