Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Steering shakes/wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Default Steering shakes/wobbles

My steering wheel wobbles from side to side when driving. ( as if you are turning side to side very short and sharp). I thought it was my old tyre 235/75/15. Today i replaced with 265/75. Its more noticable now.

Is this common on MS's.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Default RE: Steering shakes/wobbles

Does this occur at low speeds or high speeds?

I know that I have had the sameshaking you are experiancing (mine was at low speeds). Make sure that the tires are balanced correctly, as it is cheaper than other issues andcan cause this.Took me two shops to have it done where the steering wheel was solid.

My second guess is that you have suspension issues. Whether that be an alignment orsuspension components may be in need of replacement. I had my pitman/idler arm, andthe upper control arms replaced 3k miles ago, @ 101k (following lower ball joint replacement) and my wheel is still a bit shaky occasionally.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:25 PM

wow, It happens at low to moderatespeeds. it is easily corrected by keeping your hand on the steering with a little extra pressure to the right. The tire shop said that they balanced the new tires. What part change actually fixed your problem?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:08 PM

Oh I don't doubt that the tires were balanced, as they should have been. But I know from my experiance that it doesn't mean it's spot on.

I would have to say that my original problem was the lower ball joints. Once they were replacedthere wasless wobble, practically perfect. But that was until they wore out again...had the dealer look at it the second timeand they replaced the items in my first post,plus theytold me the lower ball joints needed replaced again. So back to Meineke to have that taken care of...they didn't want to do that, and I had to pay half of the labor and alignment (~$350).

Now my wobble is so out of character that it's hard to peg a complaint. It's smooth at 80mph, and 20mph. Only happens occasionally...

Anyhow, that's why I didn't suggest the lower ball joints. It could be a combination of problems, or as simple as an alignment.I would personally have the times balanced again.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 AM

i'm just sharing my experience,
last week i replaced the idler arm on my pajero.
the bush has worn out completely but i fail to notice it until knocking noise is heard everytime i go over speed bump.
apart from that,the steering wheel did pull very slightly on both side.it happen randomly left and right.so,if the road is not so smooth,the steering will wobble.
i'm not so sure if its the same as your problem but its very easy to check.
jack the front wheel,shake it left and right.if there is too much freeplay and knocking sound it might be the idler arm.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Like what 4g54 said check the front end for any play and also did you do an alignment when you had the tires put on too?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 AM

NOpe
No alignment done with new tires. maybe i should.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 AM

FIXED. They didnt properly balance the tyres the 1st time. However now i have like 7 weights on my rim. 1st time ive seen so much on a tyre. Does this mean my rims (stock 15's)are bent.

thanks 626

Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 AM

since it happen on both your old set and new set of tyres,it could be the rims.
but in rare case,removing the tyre,rotatethe tyreand then remounting it back will solve the problem.it work for some car,nor sure if its the same with 4x4.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:20 PM

Good, glad that worked out for you. I think that is the best peice of advice I have recieved from a dealer, without bending over for it! [:@]

Quick Reply: Steering shakes/wobbles