Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Time needed to replace starter 2002 Montero Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Default Time needed to replace starter 2002 Montero Sport

I need to replace a starter & solenoid in a 2002 Montero Sport. I bought a starter, with solenoid, at the local auto parts store; I bought it on their website to take advantage an online discount offer.

The vehicle is not at home. If it was, I would probably do this myself. But, it is at a location away from home and the starter will not engage. It had been behaving inconsistently for awhile; sometimes, it would start; other times, the starter would simply not engage and crank the engine. No need to discuss diagnosis here; it's not a battery or alternator issue; I've had those tested.

So, I need to have it towed to a shop and have them install the starter/solenoid assembly I purchased. I called one shop and the labor charge they quoted was based on 1 1/2 hour labor. That labor time sounds unreasonable to me but I'd like to get some opinions. I have replaced starters on 2 Honda Accords but I'm less familiar with this Montero (it actually belongs to me son who is out of state now).

Old 12-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Disconnect your positive battery cable!
(Remove wheel/tire and remove the rubber wheel well protectors to access the starter.)

1. No need to remove the air tank (the one mounted over the frame).
2. Remove the two brackets that keeps the trans fluid line together. There's one just below the starter and the other below the alternator. Just follow the lines. The intention is to be able to flex those lines.
3. Remove the wiring. The ground has a little "push-buttom" to release it. Do not pull it without pressing it.
4. Removed the two main bolts from the starter.
5. Removed the metal shield supported by the lower main bolt. Be carefull, it has sharp edges.
5. I removed the manifold cover and the engine mount cover. Just to add a little bit of space to play with. Those are easy to remove/install.
6. Now play with the starter from below and push it in direction to the Alternator. This is the hardest part.
7. Get in the new one was easier than removing the old one.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:18 PM

Thanks much for your reply!