Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Timing Belt change and tranmission Failed

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:00 PM
rxr
Default Final update.

Tranny replaced and just picked up the car, tech says that the transfer case had tranmission oil in it !!, not sure how that happened, but that was probably the only source for failure.

Replaced Tranny, Transfer Case from a 2002 Donor Car, new seals and fresh mitsu oil.
The truck's back to life and drives fantastic. Manybrew and all others, appreciate your help and insight into this issue.

This board rocks !

Thinking about adding a seperate cooler for the transmission, let me know you thoughts on this.

Total Bill : 2096.00( including labor )

Old 08-14-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by rxr
Tranny replaced and just picked up the car, tech says that the transfer case had tranmission oil in it !!, not sure how that happened, but that was probably the only source for failure.

Replaced Tranny, Transfer Case from a 2002 Donor Car, new seals and fresh mitsu oil.
The truck's back to life and drives fantastic. Manybrew and all others, appreciate your help and insight into this issue.

This board rocks !

Thinking about adding a seperate cooler for the transmission, let me know you thoughts on this.

Total Bill : 2096.00( including labor )
it already has one. Dont alter the factory cooling.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:57 AM
rxr
Thumbs down Disaster - Tranny Broke down again witin 70 miles.

Ok guys, I am back here for support and guidance.
The replaced tranny broke in less than 70 Miles, the symptoms were the same,

A/T Temp Light went off and within seconds, a huge clung and the tranny went into
the fail safe mode , neutral lights flashing, only gear 3 works. ( Reverse / Drive / Gear 1, 2, 4, 5 Do not engage ).

My thoughts are, something's wrong in the differential which is causing this, or the whole cooling system for the tranny is messed up. I am even doubting sticky calipers at the rear/warped rotors!!

The used car place, is trying to get me a new one and help me out on this, but I am thinking what if this happens again ?

Any thoughts on this, please help.

Cheers
Rxr.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 PM

Yikes - sorry to hear this. Disaster indeed but it kinda rules out the one in a thousand random failure. Something has to be causing this.

Do you know if they fully checked for free flow in the cooler and cooler lines? Not just inside the radiator but all the hard and soft lines from the gearbox exit port all the way around and back to the entry port.

Could certainly be something else but I'd make darned sure there is full flow before hooking up another transmission.

Ron

Old 08-20-2009, 03:05 PM
rxr
Default A/T Cooling system.

Thanks jrmdir, we will see how this one goes.

Are there any other caveats to the A/T Cooling system, other than the
A/T cooler & A/T Temp Sensor ?

Thanks
Rxr

Old 08-21-2009, 02:26 PM

I hadn't thought of this before, but it is related to transmission cooling. This was taken from www.monterosportonline.com; FAQ section. I don't know if this will transfer over to the full size Montero:

Q- After prolonged high speed driving or prolonged driving through mountainous regions with moderate to heavy loads, the Neutral (N) light will begin to flash in the dash (4wd models use a flashing A/T light). What does this mean, what should I do about it and what can I do to prevent this from reoccuring?

A- Basically, that the trasmission controller's way of notifying you that your ATF has reached a temperature that is excessively hot. What you should do is pull over as soon as you safely can, shift the transmission into Neutral (N) or Park (P) and LEAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING as this will continue to pump the ATF through the transmission oil cooler to cool it. Leave the engine running untill the (N) stops flashing, then proceed.
To prevent this from happening again, have your ATF inspected for it's condition. If it is dark in color or smells burnt, have it flushed with the proper ATF. If your ATF condition is good, be ABSOLUTLY SURE THAT THE FLUID LEVEL IS ON THE MARK. Overfilling the transmission will cause "foaming" as the fluid is churned with all of the rotating parts. The foaming of the fluid will lead to extreme slippage and erratic shifting- not to mention premature wear of the internal clutch packs in the transmission. ATF should be checked WHILE HOT on a level surface with the engine running and the transmission in "N" (98 and older). In 99 and newer transmissions, you can check the fluid in either P or N. There is an updated transmission pan available for 99-01 model MS's that is deeper to keep the fluid further away from the transmission (to prevent foaming).
If you are constantly towing or driving under heavy loads or even continuous mountainous driving- adding an aftermarket transmission oil cooler has had many positive results in keeping the fluid temperatures in check and is MUCH CHEAPER than paying for the undated pan (should your vehicle be out of warranty).

Last edited by carlover626; 08-22-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:38 PM
rxr
Default Thanks.

Still waiting for the next used tranny. Is there a way to check that the current tranny cooler is doing the job right ? , Manybrews recommended not to do anything to the stock tranny cooler.

other questions,

1. Is there a way to check the the front or rear differential is good ? and not causing the
overload on the tranny. ( i was on the interstate at 50-60mph, for about 25 miles, before this happened )

2. Does anybody doubt any electricals, such as, the car automatically switching into
4x4 mode ( HT or LT ) at speeds excess than 50 MPH. , will the over heating do this ?

I think I have more questions, than what I can solve

Cheers
Rxr.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 AM

rxr:

Sorry, I really don't know much about the electricals or if/how the diff could overload the trans - but that doesn't seem very likely.

re: the cooler, I strongly agree with Manybrews. These trucks are deisgned for very hot weather, off-road conditions and the stock cooler is fine. The only things that could go wrong is if it leaks or is blocked. If you don't have any ATF mixed with the coolant (do you?) and no spots on the floor - there's no leak.

So all I can recommend - especially while waiting for another trans, is to use an air hose to from one end of the cooling system to the other and see if there seems to be any back pressure. Your shop should be able to sense if there is any blockage.

One other thought, and this is really a long shot, but you might want to replace the rubber hoses that connect the hard cooler lines to the radiator. I once had a fuel line that looked fine when not under pressure but had a tear in the inner liner and a flap would close off the line when in use. Usually they use a clamping device on these hoses when removing the radiator and there could be internal damage. Doubtful, but I wouldn't overlook anything at this point.

Ron

Old 08-27-2009, 02:56 PM
rxr
Default Tranny Two - In the truck , drives good.

thanks jrmdir, the A/T Coolant hoses checked out fine,

Tranny two, in the truck now, this is going to the dealership tomorrow.

here's what the user car tech did,

1. Another user tranny.
2. A/T Coolant - passage is free and no issues
3. Fresh Oil in Transmission and Transfer Case.
4. Disconnected the 4 Wheel Engagement Solenoid, so that it accidentally
cannot engage while running / untill Mitsu Tech checks it out.

I am going to drain and fill the Front and Back Differentials.
If mitsu cannot find an issue, after 3000+Change, I am going to have to trade this in

Is my OLD Tranny and Transfer case worth any change ?, i left it at the used parts place, unless you guys suggest anything !!

Manybrews, Jrmdir and All others, thanks for the help once again.

Cheers
Rxr.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:38 PM
rxr
Default Did not last a test drive.

Less than 10 miles and second tranny gone, this time i have oil dripping from the tranmission and transfer case. This montero blew 03 trannies in less than 100 miles overall, do I get some award .

thinking !! what to do !!

including the timing belt change and the tranny swap, its been 3000.00 approx. and a broken truck, I should flown in Manybrews to take a look at this.

Did someone say towing !! , i know that could've helped, with all the expense!
its over now.

Thanks again !!

Cheers
Rxr.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt change and tranmission Failed