Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Timing belt changed!!!! Tips for the weary...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Talking Timing belt changed!!!! Tips for the weary...

Finally. Timing belt change, check!! What I can say is what a pain in the ****!! The "tool" to hold the pulley I made plain sucked, would not work at all, SOOOO I broke out the 14" pipe wrench and held the pulley that way and it worked like a champ. I suggest to anyone to remove the radiator, as it gives you much more working room. Also, there is no need to move the A/C compressor, just remove the tensioner pulley. Once I had it all apart I found the hydraulic tensioner was bad (it was allowing massive amounts of slack on the timing belt), so I went on a parts hunt and found the last one on Island (Hawaii), this is after I went to 3 different shops to find it. Put everything back together and the Monty runs well, just I notice the idle is a bit lower now, but no biggie, the timing was off about 1/4" because the old belt was wayyyyy stretched. In all it took me 6 hours. Next project: Spark plugs!!!!

Rob

Sorry for no pics, my Monty leaks a bit of oil and was filthy, and so were my hands!!!