Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Tire Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Default Tire Pressure?

Got a '99 Montero sport with Firestone Destination A/T tires. (P235/75/R15)
The recommended pressure on the door is 26 PSI. The max pressure on the tire says 44 PSI.
Whenever I get the tires rotated at the local tire shop they always inflate the tires around 32-35 PSI......they say that's where they should be inflated at. What gives??

What the correct/recommended tire pressure??

Benchman

Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Default RE: Tire Pressure?

I believe the door is the recomended pressure for the OEM tires...and to me 26 is way low.

Are you checking the pressure in the middle of the day? You should check them in the morning when they are cold and have not been driven on, warm tire pressure reads a few PSI more.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 AM

I check the pressure in the morning when cold.

So ......I'm still wondering what the pressure should be set at.........32-35 PSI???

Old 08-28-2007, 12:37 PM

It may be more of a preference for you, as long as youkeep them like 5 PSI or moreunder the max on the tire you aren't hurting anything.

Lower pressure will make MPG/handling suffer, higher pressure will make the ride uncomfortable (like feeling each little rock/crack in the road). I looked at my door as well, and it also indicates 26 PSI...for the OEM tires...I *personally* wouldn't go lower than 30 PSI.

Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:55 PM

36 is my opinion. It is a comfortable median.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the input!!

benchman

Old 08-30-2007, 05:59 AM

there is a reason they put the psi on the tire.......................

Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 AM

Duh.....what?

PSI on the tire is the maximum pressure for that tire........not the recommendedeveryday driving pressure.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:30 PM

IMO go with other tires...i dont trust fire stone i use Cooper Discoveys with 35-7 PSI

Old 09-09-2007, 12:48 AM

I was a mechanic for several yearsi can tell you they are saying 32-35 psi because thats the norm for most vehicles so thats what they stick with. The 44psi on the tire is the maximum this tire can be inflated and driven on safely. only raise pressure from 26 when there is anaddition in wieght to the vehicle. the factory pressure is what the tires should be at for everday use(assuming the tires you use are still thesame size as factory)so they wear properly. without a load raising the pressure will cause the tire to wear more in the center of the tread and lowering pressure will cause outer tread wear. 32-35 won't cause greatly noticeable change but by the end of the life of the tire you'll be able to tell it wore more in the center but no real big deal there though you wanna get your money's worth and not have to replace them prematureley. plus your ride may not be quite as smooth though you might not be able to tell
[ul][*]If you do put bigger tires use less pressure. some will tell you to use more but this is a misconception. bigger tire foot print will need less hydraulic pressure to preform the same function[*]Of course the reverse is true smaller tires need more pressure. Have you ever noticed that those little doughnut spare tires say inflate to 60psi?[/ul]

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure?